Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"No 5G for better battery life and thinner device"
While CNET editor at large Scott Stein -- a noted dual-screen skeptic -- says the device felt good in his hands, he says $1,399 is a lot of money to ask of people on a normal day, let alone in the middle of an economic downturn fueled by the coronavirus pandemic.

Still, Microsoft invited us to talk with its engineers about how the Surface Duo was conceived, the technology invented to make it possible and how it'll work when we get it in the mail (watch out for CNET's review in the next few weeks).

In I'm already folding in love with the feel of Microsoft's Surface Duo, Stein shares what it was like to hold a Surface Duo prototype. Microsoft shipped us a near-production prototype device with the screens replaced by clear glass so we can see the inner working and learn how it works. Stein also talks about why he hasn't like dual-screen devices before, and why the Surface Duo may be the device to change his mind.

In Microsoft's two-screen Surface Duo isn't an iPhone or Galaxy Fold. That's the point, we look at where the Surface Duo fits in the world, and why Microsoft is choosing to make a new handheld device after a series of embarrassing multi-billion-dollar attempts that ended in failure.

Here's what else you need to know about the Surface Duo.
Continue reading - Microsoft Surface Duo begins preorders starting at $1,399 for 128GB, available Sept. 10

CyberPanther

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I think the focus of smart devices in the near future will be for folded phones.
The competition started last year between Samsung, Huawei, and Motorola.
TCL announced a punch of folded devices in the beginning of 2020.
The main obstacle here is extreme high prices of those devices.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Looks bulky when folded, not something I have any desire for, though all personal choice - I have a 20 years old daughter & associated friends I asked for their opinions a while back on folded devices, little or no interest from any? Her other half just bought (ordered) the new top of the range Samsung none folding but a small fortune - They don't seem to use a phone like I they are almost part of the phone with a direct connection:eek::eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

1598010659223.png

Reactions: Protomartyr

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
If it was cheaper I think Microsoft would have had a successful product. This seems too expensive.

For that price, I would liked to have seen a bigger battery (two screens will surely drain it quickly) along with Wi-Fi 6 and some guarantee of how long Microsoft intend to provide updates to this product. I don't have a use for 5G at the moment, but it would be good to have had that option even if it was switched off by default.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If it was cheaper I think Microsoft would have had a successful product. This seems too expensive.

For that price, I would liked to have seen a bigger battery (two screens will surely drain it quickly) along with Wi-Fi 6
For a new device, you won't see that in it's first generation. Especially considering how Wi-Fi 6 (2019) and 5G are not used by millions of people. Why do you think Google and Apple are only now releasing 5G phones in late 2020 / early 2021.

Due to current climate, with COVID-19, how many are actually going out there buying 5G Phones with 5G Plans, when they cannot be guaranteed their jobs are secure tomorrow?

Consumers want want want more "features" for a low low low price, but seriously lack this important organ:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Protomartyr

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I agree that 5G and WiFI 6 are not necessary at the moment. However, they are likely to become common features in the next 2 years. If I was paying a premium price for a premium Android phone then I’d expect the hardware to remain fairly up-to-date for the next few years. Am I right in saying that it also lacks NFC which presumably means it can’t be used to make payments?- a feature found on many budget handsets.

Its a very nice design and is an interesting product. I just think it lacks a few features which I would expect to see in a flagship phone like this.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.