Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Security researchers have discovered tens of millions of accounts from a third-party version of Telegram that were leaked online in another cloud misconfiguration.

Bob Diachenko and the Comparitech team found the exposed data on March 21. It had been posted to an Elasticsearch cluster, password-free, by a group called “Hunting system” in Farsi.

Although the cluster was deleted on March 25, a day after Diachenko informed the hosting provider, at least one user had apparently already posted it to a hacking forum.

That’s bad news, because the trove contained 42 million records from a third-party version of popular messaging app Telegram. They included user account IDs, phone numbers, names, and hashes and secret keys.

As Telegram has been banned in Iran since anti-government protests in 2018, the database could put users at risk of being singled out by the authorities as having something to hide.

Although the hashes and keys can’t be used to access accounts, third-party hackers could use the other information in financially motivated attacks, warned Comparitech.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
What do you mean, Telegrams fault?
leaked online in another cloud misconfiguration
This looks like something was wrong from Telegram's end. Third party apps exist because Telegram makes their API available for third party devs similar to Twitter but Twitter's data has never been revealed by any third party app. So maybe some fault in their API let that third party app access Telegrams private data. Anyway, I'm guessing this so correct me if I'm wrong.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This looks like something was wrong from Telegram's end. Third party apps exist because Telegram makes their API available for third party devs similar to Twitter but Twitter's data has never been revealed by any third party app. So maybe some fault in their API let that third party app access Telegrams private data. Anyway, I'm guessing this so correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm also not sure, but from what I saw from the main source, Telegram made an official statement.
“We can confirm that the data seems to have originated from third-party forks extracting user contacts. Unfortunately, despite our warnings, people in Iran are still using unverified apps. Telegram apps are open source, so it’s important to use our official apps that support verifiable builds.”
Another one that caught my eye is, Elasticsearch.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.