Troubleshoot PROBLEM:Cursor blinking continuously and USB not detectin on my laptop :(

Don Ultimate

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 16, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
The above symptoms persists
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I had no idea how to proceed so I ran a full scan of my system. checked all the updates, diagnosed the system tests, nothing else.
Since yesterday I am facing some issues in my HP DM4 3022TX laptop. The cursor is continuously blinking like somebody is pressing F5 again and again to refresh. Also, I noticed that I am not able to connect USB devices such as flash drive and external hard drive.
Later I realised that the UB drives (Pen drives and hard drive) are not working on my desktop too...I am suspecting that my laptop has damaged these drives somehow and now they aren't working on other devices too...Please help to solve the issue.
Thanks in advance

L

LabZero

The situation is not simple, about the cursor maybe a CPU overlapping/overload and you should check the CPU load or a driver conflict (USB) but it is not clear if these two problems are related.
The first thing to do is simple: shut down your PC, remove the power supply and the battery pack for a few minutes, push the power button for one minute (so without battery), reinsert battery and power on the Pc.

If this step does not resolve the issue, follow this guide (disable and re-enable USB Controller):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/817900

If unsuccessful, hoping that you have a working OS Image so reinstall Windows.
This is a drastic solution, but have a backup plan is essential.
Hardware problem can be also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Don Ultimate

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 16, 2014
The situation is not simple, about the cursor maybe a CPU overlapping/overload and you should check the CPU load or a driver conflict (USB) but it is not clear if these two problems are related.
The first thing to do is simple: shut down your PC, remove the power supply and the battery pack for a few minutes, push the power button for one minute (so without battery), reinsert battery and power on the Pc.

If this step does not resolve the issue, follow this guide (disable and re-enable USB Controller):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/817900

If unsuccessful, hoping that you have a working OS Image so reinstall Windows.
This is a drastic solution, but have a backup plan is essential.
Hardware problem can be also.

Hi @Klipsh, Thanks for the reply... I have checked the load on CPU and I guess it is not much...I am not doing any operation on my system. ABout removal and reiserting the battery, I have tried it but in vain :( . I also tried of uninstalling and reinstalling USB drivers, but again didnot work. And also, I am using Windows 10 (I had upgraded from windows 8, but originally had windows 7 home premium) and at present do not possess the OS image :( . Not getting, what went wrong, 3 days ago, It was working fine, then I opened it yesterday and found the unexpected issue.

If you have another suggestion, pls help :(

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Blinking of cursor may link to your video adapter/graphics that needs an upgrade, usually those like static on the screen is one of the sign for aging.

Try this following step which been marked solve by someone post a problem from another forum. Link

1.) Connect the USB when laptop is OFF

Start up the laptop and check whether it is detected in the BIOS setup
If YES update windows.

2.) Try to format it on other computer and then connect it to your laptop

3.) Try and check if other USB work on your laptop.

Reactions: Don Ultimate
Upvote 0

Don Ultimate

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 16, 2014
Hi @Stas, I have already checked that but all drivers are up to date.
Hi @jamescv7, USB not getting detected in BIOS too. Actually I suspect that my other desktop PC (or my PC) has something (may be some malware) because the USB is not detected in that PC too. Whatever USB devices I have (Pen drives and hard drive), all are not working in both PC. I scanned both PCs but did not get anything :(
And the cursor blinking problem is also still not yet solved. God knows what happened to my PC.
Please share any other suggestions, if you have..

Upvote 0
L

LabZero

@Don Ultimate

Your PC is not clean, I see many PUP detected and ... If you have pirated contents please remove them and open a new thread in Malware Removal Assistance.

I can't give you this assistance but I must direct you to this procedure because the first step to solve your problem is to clean your PC from malware, whatever it is.
Delete any pirated content before proceeding, otherwise there is a violation of our rules.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.