mickel1

Level 2
I'm trying to install Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition 2019 in the latest Windows 10 May 2019 but keep getting the following error: Potentially incompatible software found.

On this moment, I'm only using Windows Defender and yesterday I uninstalled OSArmor and VoodooShield. I also tried disabling Windows Defender via Group Policy Editor but Windows Defender stays on.

Does anyone here have an idea on how to fix this?

oldschool

Level 34
Verified
I'm trying to install Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition 2019 in the latest Windows 10 May 2019 but keep getting the following error: Potentially incompatible software found.

On this moment, I'm only using Windows Defender and yesterday I uninstalled OSArmor and VoodooShield. I also tried disabling Windows Defender via Group Policy Editor but Windows Defender stays on.

View attachment 214340
You don't need to disable Windows Defender. Installing most other AVs will prompt WD to disable itself.

If you select "continue" as your post above, BD will uninstall whatever app it finds offensive. I see you use MBAM as 2nd opinion scanner. Unless you adjust its settings, it still starts with your OS and BD may be sensing this. It happened to me. I let BD uninstall MBAM.

If you've uninstalled all other security software already, you can abort the BD install, restart and try again. If you've already done this, I suggest trying the install again. When I used it I had trouble installing it as well. It's a very fussy process with BD. I liked it OK but uninstalled it after a month because of compatibility issues, bugs.

Ask yourself, is there anything else e.g. a 3rd party firewall, etc. that might be the cause. Please post any other actions you have tried, or more info which may be helpful.

mickel1

Level 2
You don't need to disable Windows Defender. Installing most other AVs will prompt WD to disable itself.

If you select "continue" as your post above, BD will uninstall whatever app it finds offensive. I see you use MBAM as 2nd opinion scanner. Unless you adjust its settings, it still starts with your OS and BD may be sensing this. It happened to me. I let BD uninstall MBAM.

If you've uninstalled all other security software already, you can abort the BD install, restart and try again. If you've already done this, I suggest trying the install again. When I used it I had trouble installing it as well. It's a very fussy process with BD. I liked it OK but uninstalled it after a month because of compatibility issues, bugs.

Ask yourself, is there anything else e.g. a 3rd party firewall, etc. that might be the cause. Please post any other actions you have tried, or more info which may be helpful.
I know that you normally don't need to disable Windows Defender and that it will disable by itself but I tried all kinds of things and I just wanted to try this to solve the problem.

I clicked "continue" but Bitdefender did not uninstall anything and just kept asking to restart (which I did several times).

I tried all the things you mentioned before posting this on MalwareTips.

Maybe it's a bug with Bitdefender and the latest Windows 10 version. I don't know. I tried all kinds of things.

I also just restored a system image backup of Windows 10 1809. Maybe I was too fast with the new update.

But then again, I could install ESET Nod32 Antivirus without any problems on the latest Windows 10.

Maybe I should give Windows Defender another chance. But the thing is, WD is slowing down my PC noticeably. BIG difference between ESET and WD in terms of speed.

oldschool

Level 34
Verified
I always disable the "Start Malwarebytes at Windows startup" option. I did not uninstall Malwarebytes.
I think BD did not like MBAM free on my machine and I thought it uninstalled it for me, but it has been 6 months or so since I used it so I can't say for sure. You could try installing BD again, and if it won't install then go to Plan B - Eset or WD. Otherwise, I'm out of suggestions. I do know that WD + OSA or VS is generally a good combo, but only you know what works best on your machine.

stefanos

Level 24
Verified

View attachment 214340
The same problem Panda free on windows 10 1903. And i today i will back to 1809

I know that you normally don't need to disable Windows Defender and that it will disable by itself but I tried all kinds of things and I just wanted to try this to solve the problem.

I clicked "continue" but Bitdefender did not uninstall anything and just kept asking to restart (which I did several times).

I tried all the things you mentioned before posting this on MalwareTips.

Maybe it's a bug with Bitdefender and the latest Windows 10 version. I don't know. I tried all kinds of things.

I also just restored a system image backup of Windows 10 1809. Maybe I was too fast with the new update.

But then again, I could install ESET Nod32 Antivirus without any problems on the latest Windows 10.

Maybe I should give Windows Defender another chance. But the thing is, WD is slowing down my PC noticeably. BIG difference between ESET and WD in terms of speed.
If you want ligt solution Comodo cloud works with windows 10 1903

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff member
Bitdefender doesn't like Malwarebytes for years back. I recommend you to uninstall Malwarebytes completely and manually delete all leftovers (if there are some) , or use MBAM clean tool, and then try to install Bitdefender

mickel1

Level 2
So I went back to Windows 10 1809 by restoring a system image backup.

After restoring the system image backup and updating Windows 10 and some programs, I saw that the SSD I ordered from Amazon will arrive today. SURPRISE!!! The first ETA when I ordered it was at 14 June.

Currently, my PC has a normal HD, so the SSD will make things run faster.

So, this means that I will do a clean install of Windows 1903 on the new SSD and then I will just try WD with OSA for a moment and see how that combo works.

Now, I know that WD will still slow my PC down more than some other 3rd-party AVs but I just want to see how it goes.

And maybe after a few Windows 10 quality updates or when I'm tired of WD, I wil try another 3rd-party AV again.

Anyway...

Thanks for all the replies :emoji_v: :cool: (y).