Problems activating Valid KIS 2015 License for KIS 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I am here to share my horrific experience with you guys regarding this cheat company called Kaspersky.

Earlier, this year, I bought a one year license for KIS 2015 from downloadcrew store. They have a good reputation. I have bought so many software from them in the past without any issues.

The code I bought was for the US/CAN region only. I activated it easily using CyberGhost (USA server). Later, I reactivated it many times through the same procedure, whenever I did a clean install of Windows, without any issues.

After migrating to Windows 10, I waited for a bit installing KIS 2016 because of the ongoing issues it had. Two days ago, I finally decided to give it a go on Windows 10. When I installed it, and tried activating, it gave me the error that "the activation code is not suitable for this application."

I opened a ticket with technical support. I stated my problem and waited for their reply. First, they gave me an irrelevant reply with irrelevant links. Then, when I pressed them, they told me that the activation code was for KIS 2012 and could only be used up to KIS 2015 and nothing beyond that. After that, they took a u-turn and told me that the code was actually for South Africa. That was a huge lie which got me pissed off big time. I argued with them over the issue, but they said that the company downloadcrew was at fault, and they (Kaspersky) could not change the code or help me furthermore with this issue. The only thing I could do was to contact them (downloadcrew) and request a refund or a change of the code.

So, what's my conclusion?

Had they concluded or rather insisted that the code was for KIS 2012 and couldn't be used beyond KIS 2015, I would have accepted that and moved on. But they quickly changed their statement and insisted that it was a South African code (which was a huge lie). I had always activated it through the US server.

I still have 144 days of subscription left on my license. The code only works with KIS 2015 and not KIS 2016.

From now on wards, I would never ever use Kaspersky again. They are huge liars. And I consider it cheating when you don't accept your fault and put the blame on others.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@exterminator20 Does it matter where licenses are bought and how they are activated? Could the licenses laws be different, or stated in their EULA?

@Sher Did Kaspersky or DownloadCrew state the license sold was for South Africa?

Reactions: Kent

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
@exterminator20 Does it matter where licenses are bought and how they are activated? Could the licenses laws be different, or stated in their EULA?

@Sher Did Kaspersky or DownloadCrew state the license sold was for South Africa?

Downloadcrew sold me a license for US/CAN region. I always activated it through the US server. Kaspersky stated that it was a South African code, which can't be true.

Reactions: done

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That's why I asked about activating software, even if you live in a different country. What did DownloadCrew say?

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Why not try downloading KIS from SA region? Try downgrading to KIS 2015 and check if license key works fine or else stick with Defender for time being.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Kaspersky licenses are geographically specific however they can be easily activated using the correct IP for the region in which the license was issued for.
Personally I would suggest buying the license directly from the manufacturer for the region in which you live.Kaspersky is able to tell for what region a specific license was issued for. This might be a download crew problem and not a Kaspersky one.
@Sher I understand your frustration and I am not saying you are wrong however you did not purchase the license directly from Kaspersky.
A valid activation code for 2015 can be used to activate 2016. The general rule is 3 forward / 1 back (2014-2015-2016-2017-2018)
I have not had any problems activating KIS 2016 with licenses on my Kaspersky account(2012,2013)

These are the instructions I give for our KIS Giveaways as I receive them for the US region

You can change your ip to US and activate using VPN . Like this free one OpenVPN - Open Source VPN

Download and install open vpn then use a US proxy

Install and activate KIS and update

Then you can exit open VPN

or

see this option #2 Kaspersky Error - Activation code is invalid this region

Try using a South African proxy and then install,activate and update and see if that works

Install KIS 2015 and activate.Then uninstall KIS 2015 however do not use a 3rd party uninstaller and when asked to keep settings and license file make sure you keep them.Uninstall KIS 2015 and install KIS 2016 and see if it activates

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
so many good free antiviruses now days why even bother buying one?
even the built in windows 10 is very good.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Kaspersky licenses are geographically specific however they can be easily activated using the correct IP for the region in which the license was issued for.
Personally I would suggest buying the license directly from the manufacturer for the region in which you live.Kaspersky is able to tell for what region a specific license was issued for. This might be a download crew problem and not a Kaspersky one.
@Sher I understand your frustration and I am not saying you are wrong however you did not purchase the license directly from Kaspersky.
A valid activation code for 2015 can be used to activate 2016. The general rule is 3 forward / 1 back (2014-2015-2016-2017-2018)
I have not had any problems activating KIS 2016 with licenses on my Kaspersky account(2012,2013)

These are the instructions I give for our KIS Giveaways as I receive them for the US region

You can change your ip to US and activate using VPN . Like this free one OpenVPN - Open Source VPN

Download and install open vpn then use a US proxy

Install and activate KIS and update

Then you can exit open VPN

or

see this option #2 Kaspersky Error - Activation code is invalid this region

Try using a South African proxy and then install,activate and update and see if that works

I always activated it through VPN using US IP address. It still works with KIS 2015, but won't work with KIS 2016.

You didn't read my first post carefully. It's not a region-specific problem. They are lying.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I always activated it through VPN using US IP address. It still works with KIS 2015, but won't work with KIS 2016.
I understand but have you tried some of the suggestions made like using an SA IP?

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I understand but have you tried some of the suggestions made like using an SA IP?

It doesn't make any sense to use an African IP. The code is for US/CAN region. For 200 odd days, I activated it many times using the US IP. Now, for KIS 2016, why should I use an African IP? Where's the logic?

See their reply #2:

Thank you for contacting Kaspersky Lab Technical Support,

We really appreciate your response and we do apologize if the issue still persist.

We were going to escalate the ticket to our higher technical support and checked if they have work around on this matter. Cause we double checked the activation code that you have and we found that your purchased application is Kasperskky Internet Security 2012, and it's allowed to upgrade to 2015 only not 2016. And you update your Operating system to windows 10 and the only application can work to the latest version of Operating system is the latest version which is Kaspersky Internet Security 2016.

We will keep you posted regarding on this matter please wait for further assistance.
Again we sorry for the trouble.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Sher.
is it possible to get a upgrade via the 2015 version.
No, Kaspersky doesn't provide automatic upgrades in the 2015 version, only minor patches and MR get downloaded via the updater. :)
It doesn't make any sense to use an African IP. The code is for US/CAN region. For 200 odd days, I activated it many times using the US IP. Now, for KIS 2016, why should I use an African IP? Where's the logic?
Kaspersky has a grace period in which you are allowed to use licenses outside of the region it was purchased and activated in for travels and the likes. Your region switching, which occurred regular as far as I can see, most likely automatically blacklisted your license.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Kaspersky has a grace period in which you are allowed to use licenses outside of the region it was purchased and activated in for travels and the likes. Your region switching, which occurred regular as far as I can see, most likely automatically blacklisted your license.

The license is not blacklisted. It works fine with 2015 still.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I don't see the fault with Kaspersky in this case. The only fishy things I see are with the OP and the vendor, where he got his license. Calling Kaspersky a lying cheating company is childish and slanderous. Just be lucky they don't care about you or this forum, or else you might be facing legal actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.