Q&A Pros and cons of using VPN extensions rather than installed VPN software?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Aug 23, 2013
What are all the things you lose out on when you use a VPN extension rather than installing and autostarting a VPN program?

Obviously if you use a freestanding email application like I prefer to, a VPN extension is meaningless for that, but how much of a concern is that?

Are VPN extensions any less taxing on system performance than VPN software?

Good to be back; way too busy lately.

venustus

Level 58
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Dec 30, 2012
What are all the things you lose out on when you use a VPN extension rather than installing and autostarting a VPN program?

Obviously if you use a freestanding email application like I prefer to, a VPN extension is meaningless for that, but how much of a concern is that?

I believe that the addon is purely a proxy and not a true vpn
The vpn installed will protect all applications not just the browser
Others can chime in for more details :)

JB007

Level 24
Verified
May 19, 2016

Thanks for the question (y)
I just started to use a VPN (NordVPN) and I have the same question about VPN program vs VPN extension.
And another, is the VPN extension enough to protect me on Internet ?

jogs

Level 21
Verified
Nov 19, 2012
I have seen that even using extension the IP address remains hidden. It depends on the provider, if the extension has been made good then it can provide enough protection but it only protect the particular browser whereas the app will protect all the connections. But the extensions don't have kill switch (some say its not needed ) so it can be a problem.