Protest at Amazon CEO apartment over Amazon Workers Rights

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
The Amazon worker who was fired after calling for better warehouse safety standards led a protest in front of Jeff Bezos' New York City apartment

The protest, which was organized by a group called the Congress Of Essential Workers, drew a crowd with signs calling for lawmakers to "Tax Bezos" and pointing out that numerous Amazon fulfillment center workers have died from COVID-19, the coronavirus disease, as Bezos' fortune has risen.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Well apparently they gave an extra $2 per hour at the start of the pandemic and unlimited days off as needed and took it back now! Also they don't even give all full time employees healthcare!? (Pitiful!) And yes they say the wealthiest 3% should be taxed alot More! (AKA Bill Gates, Jeff Bezo, Ellon Musk etc..)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I use Amazon quite a bit, they are fast & efficient, Amazon have been spending a lots in advertising recently in UK showing how jolly it is to work in delivery or fulfilment centres - I really wish they would improve life for their workers though - One person stopping using them would achieve nothing?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Companies that treat their own employees in this kind of manner no matter what product/service they sell or produce, I personal always try to avoid as much as possible. But even if I don't use their site as I also want to support more local companies, it's more then likely the online store I use is also using Amazons cloud service.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Companies that treat their own employees in this kind of manner no matter what product/service they sell or produce, I personal always try to avoid as much as possible. But even if I don't use their site as I also want to support more local companies, it's more then likely the online store I use is also using Amazons cloud service.
I agree totally - The issue this year that for some time here Amazon was just about the only place items could be sourced for some time as most retail outlets were closed & as I was at risk Amazon was the only choice, but if Amazon continue to grow local stores will cease to exist soon

MonSpyder9

Level 2
May 4, 2020
I agree totally - The issue this year that for some time here Amazon was just about the only place items could be sourced for some time as most retail outlets were closed & as I was at risk Amazon was the only choice, but if Amazon continue to grow local stores will cease to exist soon
Oh damn, that sounds actually scary. I don't use Amazon that much because deliveries would take forever and I get quite impatient when ordering online. And I wouldn't want local businesses to disappear, though it seems that Amazon will come in at some point and suck out all of our cultural identity and uniqueness.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
if Amazon continue to grow local stores will cease to exist soon

Recycling bankrupted-by-COVID department stores like Sears in mostly abandoned shopping malls (remember those?). It's like: almost full circle. Could this be considered good business sense or ruthless pursuit of local economic domination? Both? I say: both, myself. Jobs and life.

I saw a virtually abandoned mall once: grass growing thru the cracks in the concrete, a few cars in front of one or two stores holding on. Beyond creepy.

Reactions: Tutman and upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.