Advice Request ProtonVPN - what do you think about it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Chausko

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2018
Hello,
My VPN subscription will be ending this Wednesday. So, I want to try new service and ProtonVPN looks very good. My question is: Is ProtonVPN secure, transparent like iVPN, Windscibe or Mullvad? Or is it scam like NordVPN? Thank you.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I would avoid everything that doesn't support WireGuard. Because the speed and stability is more important.
OpenVPN is unstable and slow. When I say unstable I mean the connection drops regularly.
WireGuard is the future. Also Dedicated VPN apps are also slow including PtotonVPN's app.
Privacy? I don't care.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've used ProtonVPN in the past, before it was found not to be as secure/private as they claimed. I have not tried it since before the time of the publication of the second link -

Prior to that other issues were raised about ProtonVPN -

This may all have changed now, I'm not sure, others here may know much more about the current status of ProtonVPN and be able to help you.

Personally, I don't trust them now, its that 'once bitten twice shy' attitude. It would be good if my trust could be restored, as it worked well in the past.

In case you haven't found this site I believe it to be one of the best sources of information on VPNs

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What others think about the Free version, who don't care about the paid features and for very-light usage (1-2 hours per week)?
ProtonVPN Free is subsidized by ProtonVPN paid users
The Free features
  • 1 VPN connection
  • Servers in 3 countries
  • Medium speed
  • No logs/No ads
Locked features (Paid only)
  • P2P/BitTorrent support
  • Secure Core VPN
  • TOR over VPN
  • Access blocked content
Link: ProtonVPN - Pricing

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
A person on the BC forums pointed out something that I thought may be of interest to this discussion.
I am also leaving proton. problems.

1. if you use a proton email account to your vpn account with them they link the two. This means that if you give up the vpn account, they block your email account and you no longer have access to any other contacts or files that were on that email.

2. their payment verification is defective, and the staff is unable to solve problems.
Not sure about point #2, but point #1 is definitely a concern for privacy. Just be sure to not sign up for ProtonVPN using your Proton email account.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.