Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

What you need to know​

• Some Dell printer drivers have been flagged as malware by antivirus products.
  • The issue was caught today by security and cybercrime journalist Brian Krebs.
  • It's unclear what's going on with the drivers, but you likely want to avoid installing any updates for now.

Update November 10 (4:55 p.m. ET) — Dell pulls links, says it is investigating claims​

Dell says that it has removed the files from public access and is investigating the claim that they are malicious. "Our cybersecurity team has removed the files (and the links to the files) and are investigating the claim that they are malicious," Dell said in a statement to Windows Central. "The files are no longer accessible to the public. The security of our networks and products is a top priority and critical to protecting our customers' information."
Read the full article here at Windows Central:

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
None of these detections are specific. Half of them (7/15) are Bitdefender's engine. I assume these are false positives that in turn spiraled other AV to detect the files. They are also not signed which I would expect from such drivers and may contribute to a false positive spiral.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
None of these detections are specific. Half of them (7/15) are Bitdefender's engine. I assume these are false positives that in turn spiraled other AV to detect the files. They are also not signed which I would expect from such drivers and may contribute to a false positive spiral.
So, only the Bitdefender (and those who use that engine of course) had false positives and few others basically created signature just because it's being detected by Bitdefender? I guess that tells you the poor quality of those products and we see it quite too often on VT.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.