Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
PSA: Support for Windows 10 for PCs version 1511 ends tomorrow

It's that time again, the time for Microsoft to end support for a version of Windows 10. According to the Windows lifecycle fact sheet, support for Windows 10 for PCs version 1511 will be ending tomorrow, October 10.

Version 1511 was the first update to Windows 10, so this is only the second time that this has happened. The first was on May 9, when the original version of the OS, now known as 1507, was removed from support. The company has continued to provide cumulative updates though, despite that, for business customers that have different licensing agreements than consumers have.

Naturally, your PC should have been moved to at least the Anniversary Update (version 1607) or the Creators Update (version 1703) by now. If you haven't been, you can manually upgrade your machine to a newer version here by clicking 'Update now'.

Note that this change only applies to the PC version of the OS. Windows 10 Mobile version 1511 is still slated to be supported until January 8, 2018, despite not having received any updates in quite some time.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Anyone else getting key activation issues since patch Tuesday?

I have had 2 legitimately keyed systems go unactivated today.. Thankfully, one of the keys I purchased from Amazon, and got it re-validated. The other key I purchased from an OEM seller and they won't re-activate it. So I am going to have to purchase another one from an OEM supplier or pay full price on Amazon. Something changed, these machines have been running for a couple years on Win10 - fully updated - without any issue.

Curious to see if anyone else has run into this nonsense. I've actually been looking to move a couple machines to Secured Debian rather than paying the Microsoft Tax. I'm going to test my Thinkpad Twists on Debian over the weekend and just be done with Microsoft on those.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Anyone else getting key activation issues since patch Tuesday?

I have had 2 legitimately keyed systems go unactivated today.. Thankfully, one of the keys I purchased from Amazon, and got it re-validated. The other key I purchased from an OEM seller and they won't re-activate it. So I am going to have to purchase another one from an OEM supplier or pay full price on Amazon. Something changed, these machines have been running for a couple years on Win10 - fully updated - without any issue.

Curious to see if anyone else has run into this nonsense. I've actually been looking to move a couple machines to Secured Debian rather than paying the Microsoft Tax. I'm going to test my Thinkpad Twists on Debian over the weekend and just be done with Microsoft on those.

Apparently, you're not the only one.

Check out this thread: Windows 10 - KB4041691 Badly Botched

Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Still this should have been updated some time ago 6 months or so ago. ;)

Reactions: Marko :)
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.