PUP.Optional disables all websites except for Google.

HawaiiBoy

Thread author
May 22, 2018
I got this virus it appears, that blocks me from entering any website, except for Google.com. I have run multiple antivirus programs and none of them worked. I thought for sure ADW would get rid of the issue. It identified one file called PUP.Optional.DefaultSearch.ShrtCln .

ADW said it deleted it but when I start the computer up again, it came back. Malwarebytes Premium version didn't even detect it. Kapersky TDSSkiller found a different item and removed it but it didn't even identify the PUP file. It appears to be a rootkit attached to the boot log or something because everytime I reboot the computer, it comes back.

So I went online and Google listed this issue in YouTube. Some people found a way to change the DNS settings but I tried it just like they said and it still did not work.

I can get into my computer, my internet is connected correctly, and I can open Google.com, but I cannot open any other website. Has anyone encountered this issue and do you know how to solve this problem?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.