Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
babylon.png

No a real surprise there..........I wonder how much money does CNET get for pushing this unwanted program , I hope it's a lot because they are really trashing this site name with this cheap tricks..
Last time I visited CNET was 1-2 months ago so I'm far from being a regular reader but for me this is another defiance at it's readers ...Wonder how much more they can take...

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Interesting read :

Gordon Lyon said:
Hi Folks. I've just discovered that C|Net's Download.Com site has
started wrapping their Nmap downloads (as well as other free software
like VLC) in a trojan installer which does things like installing a
sketchy "StartNow" toolbar, changing the user's default search engine
to Microsoft Bing, and changing their home page to Microsoft's MSN.

The way it works is that C|Net's download page (screenshot attached)
offers what they claim to be Nmap's Windows installer. They even
provide the correct file size for our official installer. But users
actually get a Cnet-created trojan installer. That program does the
dirty work before downloading and executing Nmap's real installer.

Of course the problem is that users often just click through installer
screens, trusting that download.com gave them the real installer and
knowing that the Nmap project wouldn't put malicious code in our
installer. Then the next time the user opens their browser, they
find that their computer is hosed with crappy toolbars, Bing searches,
Microsoft as their home page, and whatever other shenanigans the
software performs! The worst thing is that users will think we (Nmap
Project) did this to them!

I took and attached a screen shot of the C|Net trojan Nmap installer
in action. Note how they use our registered "Nmap" trademark in big
letters right above the malware "special offer" as if we somehow
endorsed or allowed this. Of course they also violated our trademark
by claiming this download is an Nmap installer when we have nothing to
do with the proprietary trojan installer.

In addition to the deception and trademark violation, and potential
violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, this clearly violates
Nmap's copyright. This is exactly why Nmap isn't under the plain GPL.
Our license (http://nmap.org/book/man-legal.html) specifically adds a
clause forbidding software which "integrates/includes/aggregates Nmap
into a proprietary executable installer" unless that software itself
conforms to various GPL requirements (this proprietary C|Net
download.com software and the toolbar don't). We've long known that
malicious parties might try to distribute a trojan Nmap installer, but
we never thought it would be C|Net's Download.com, which is owned by
CBS! And we never thought Microsoft would be sponsoring this
activity!

Read more >>

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
CNET got money hungry and many such as myself move to other file hosts which give us what we want, Just the original setup file for the software we request, And in full, None of these adware wrapped 256kb installers that then download the rest of the program using an internet connection and then doesn't allow you to back up the installer for later use.

I prefer grabbing the full thing from sites such as FileHippo, Softpedia, MajorGeeks and Softexia so if I have a need to install what ever the software may be offline I can do so freely.

I can't remember the last time I've downloaded from CNET, Must have been over half a year now, Good riddens.

The same goes for Adobe.com, There installer for Flash is small, But after running it then downloads the actual flash you want... once you deny optional "Norton Security scans" or "Google Toolbars". For me, It never worked, I have an internet connection but still it always freezes at 12%, Junk. So I download my flash updates using Secunia PSI or I just head on over to FileHippo.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
The same goes for Adobe.com, There installer for Flash is small, But after running it then downloads the actual flash you want... once you deny optional "Norton Security scans" or "Google Toolbars". For me, It never worked, I have an internet connection but still it always freezes at 12%, Junk. So I download my flash updates using Secunia PSI or I just head on over to FileHippo.

what you mean..?
flash? adobe flash player..? I never got it.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
win7holic said:

what you mean..?
flash? adobe flash player..? I never got it.

Not going to bother explaining. Others will understand. Don't worry.

P

Plexx

For years now I use Softpedia and Filehippo since I never really liked CNET. Reason why I usually go to CNET is to read their articles and reviews.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
biozfear said:
For years now I use Softpedia and Filehippo since I never really liked CNET. Reason why I usually go to CNET is to read their articles and reviews.

me too,but sometime reviews are fake or the people don't really know how to use the software and they put negative reviews there,i prefer filehippo too,simple and we get what we want :)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Its a bad thing. Many good companies are turning bad. First Avast started bundling open candy and then cnet. But anyway most of the times i use softpedia or filehippo as both give greater download speeds than cnet.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
1. Use developer's site.
2. Or Softepedia, or FileHippo, or MajorGeeks, or any other reliable download site (even though I prefer the first option).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.