Security News Putin bans VPNs in web browsing crackdown

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Vladimir Putin has banned virtual private networks (VPNs) and Tor in a crackdown on apps that allow access to websites prohibited in Russia.
The law, signed by President Putin, was passed by Russia's parliament last week and will come into force on 1 November. A second law to ban anonymous use of online messaging services will take effect on 1 January next year.
It would make it easier for the state to snoop on citizens' browsing habits, one internet security expert suggested.
The laws signed by Mr Putin are meant only to block access to "unlawful content" and not target law-abiding web users, the head of the lower house of parliament said, according to the RIA news agency.
One feature of the second law is the provision to require internet operators to restrict users' access if they are found to be distributing illegal content.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Oh no..., I am so sorry for Russia , it seems this country want to closed the doors and back to Iron walls decade,and back to co... hope that they change their Idea...
Mr Putin this way will back Russia to past and listed Russia to dictatorship country same NorthKorea,Sudan,Libya...plz reback your sign...

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
There is talk of UK maybe banning encrypted tunneling.

@Telos There would be no way past it, they know you are connecting to a VPN, and if your packets are private encrypted you will then be d/c'ed from the VPN server

i.e... government must have a spare key to your house, if you change the locks you will be evicted. In the case of the internet... disconnected/shut off from the VPN server

Theresa May outlines Tory plan to create new, censored Internet controlled by UK government | Privacy Online News

Last edited:

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
P.S. I think it is more about border control than anything else really.... copyright, etc. They want border control in the cyber world. I could use a VPN and go watch South Park online for free... CW stuff, etc.

But some companies do go out of their way to block VPNs by blocking the hostname. Many ways to block VPNs.... hostname, fixed IP's, etc

Last edited:
A

antreas

There is talk of UK maybe banning encrypted tunneling.

@Telos There would be no way past it, they know you are connecting to a VPN, and if your packets are private encrypted you will then be d/c'ed from the VPN server

i.e... government must have a spare key to your house, if you change the locks you will be evicted. In the case of the internet... disconnected/shut off from the VPN server

Theresa May outlines Tory plan to create new, censored Internet controlled by UK government | Privacy Online News

This is so scary!!! I can't imagine being not able to bypass this, there may be another way! :( I'm not living in Russian but if 1 does this then more will follow! I am not using VPN to watch Netflix or bypass geolocation restrictions I use it for privacy from government, advertisers etc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.