PVA_Br new security configuration wizard: My new Vostro 5470-A50

Should I change McAfee Internet Security?

• Total voters

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
This new ultrabook is a replacement for my old HP Pavillion DV-6 3240br, that isn't working anymore after 3 years.

Reactions: tonibalas

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For your ultrabook, you may change for lighter AV like Avast free, Avira free or Qihoo IS free then if wanted to test trial versions for lately purchase then its Kaspersky, Norton or ESET. (Just choose one)

McAfee is good product but likely not as good at all.

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
For your ultrabook, you may change for lighter AV like Avast free, Avira free or Qihoo IS free then if wanted to test trial versions for lately purchase then its Kaspersky, Norton or ESET. (Just choose one)

McAfee is good product but likely not as good at all.

Thank you for your answer, @jamescv7. I think you touched in a crutial point: I'm thinking too that McAfee is a bit heavier than anything I've used before, even Bitdefender Total Security - althought I've never installed it on this machine.
Btw, as far as I can see, McAfee IS 2014 does not come with a proper firewall. It provides only a crazy interface that shows Windows Firewall's status. Am I Right?

Reactions: jamescv7

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Thank you for your answer, @jamescv7
Btw, as far as I can see, McAfee IS 2014 does not come with a proper firewall. It provides only a crazy interface that shows Windows Firewall's status. Am I Right?

They have their own firewall but very pretty basic configuration.

Source: www.ctimls.com/
McAfee_InternetSecurity2014-FireWall-InternetConnectionsPrograms.jpg

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
PVA_BR if you can and want to buy a security software then i suggest ESET, it offers great protection and it's light.
On the other hand if you a free security software i suggest Comodo Internet Security since you are an advanced user and you will configure it correctly.
Very good config and thanks for sharing.

Reactions: PVA_BR

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
@jamescv7
I simply can't find a place to configure McAfee's firewall settings.
My McAfee only seems to show the status of Windows Firewall. [Just to be sure, I've manually deactivated windows firewall and McAfee Internet Security reported that "Windows Firewall was disabled"].

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
@jamescv7

D: As this McAfee is OEM, it seems that Dell haven't installed McAfee's Firewall and kept Windows Firewall enabled...
Anyway, thanks for your help :D

Reactions: jamescv7

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
PVA_BR just 2 months ago i was using ESET AV with Windows firewall and i was very happy with that.If you want to combine ESET with Comodo Firewall i believe that you will have a great combo in your hands,just config Comodo firewall as some members suggested and then you will have a high level of protection in your system;):D
I hope i have helped:)

Reactions: PVA_BR

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
Hi, I have McAfee on one of my computers and it comes with a proper Firewall

625471mcafee.png

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
I see, @SifhX. Dell McAfee I.S. Without the firewall.
And I've reinstalled it, hoping that I can find a way to install the firewall. Oddly enough, I can't install it.
I've contacted McAfee support team, trying to find a way to do it properly.
No answer until now.

Anyway, thank you for your answer :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.