Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Hello

Qihoo has a Potentially Unwanted Program Blocking option that is not checked by default.

aSQWs0q.png

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Yes, but you need to check it. I don't know why it's not enabled by default (Avast dose this too, I think every AV should have PUP detection by default).
I can understand the reason to not enable it at default. Apparently pup detection isn't enable in order to protect the company from any legal accusation, at least that's what I read on Emsisoft forum, I assume the other AV companies do the same.

I think Emsisoft has the best implementation of pup detection. Instead of simply having a setting for it, they allow the user to enable pup detection during installation. That way the company is protected from any legal action and the user is protected from pup without going through settings.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Emsisoft?. What's the problem with Emsisoft?.

There is no problem. He is simply saying that AV companies keep PUP/PUA detection off by default in order to avoid any legal complications. On installation (as he also stated), Emsisoft (including Emsisoft Emergency Kit) will ask the user if they would like to have it turned on or not. That (also stated), is the best implementation option that a vendor could place in.

This is because even a novice user would know how to turn it on without going into the settings. They will also be aware that they can block adware which most vendors do not make obvious.

It really was a compliment more than anything.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
A Potentially Unwanted Program for one user might not be an unwanted program for another user. Moreover antiviruses doesn't enable it by default, because it could be a reason for false positives.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.