App Review Qihoo Security Essentials against Revenge Ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Just realized this one wasn't published. On March 16 there was a Qihoo Total Security video vs Revenge, and here is the Qihoo Security Essentials vs Revenge companion piece.

As at the time of the videos there were not AV definitions in place, this will aid in comparison of the mechanistic blocking between the products.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I won't use either of those, but that was cool.
Why the big difference between the two sis ?
Judging by the titles of the software I would assume that SE would be a step up
in protection. But like I said I don't nor have I ever used either so I wouldn't know.
Thanks for the Test :)

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Security Essentials is a stripped down version of Total Security. But the main difference is in the base mechanistic detection process. Note QTS has been averaging two new builds a month, but QSE hasn't been updated since August. I've always wondered if there were protection differences other than jive-time AV definitions; this Revenge file was at the time FUD, so I guess I had my answer.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Just realized this one wasn't published. On March 16 there was a Qihoo Total Security video vs Revenge, and here is the Qihoo Security Essentials vs Revenge companion piece.

As at the time of the videos there were not AV definitions in place, this will aid in comparison of the mechanistic blocking between the products.
As a QSE user, this is disheartening as I don't want the bloat that accompanies QTS.

CS... do you ever sleep? Your timestamps are painful to these eyes.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
R

Rodney74

Security Essentials is a stripped down version of Total Security. But the main difference is in the base mechanistic detection process. Note QTS has been averaging two new builds a month, but QSE hasn't been updated since August. I've always wondered if there were protection differences other than jive-time AV definitions; this Revenge file was at the time FUD, so I guess I had my answer.

To whatever you just said...OK...I wish I was as smart as you....Amazing...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.