Battle Qihoo vs Windows defender (Windows 10)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Never tried out WD / MSE, as I always ran an AV to protect the system (Avast Free, Avast Pro, Bitdefender IS, Kaspersky IS, now QTS360). but I think, detection wise, it cannot stand a chance against QTS360. No idea when it comes to dynamic tests (running the files).
Have a look at the Malware Hub, I think there were some WD tests in the past.

I copied this from a yesterdays thread I replied to:

The QTS360 engines are very good, to my experience they're often one of the few with detections for brand new malware. Enabling at least Avira as additional (offline) engine (as @Inkurax stated) will not be of harm :)
Also, it features a great HIPS/BB, which can protect you from ransomware and other nasty stuff, even if there's no signature.

Make sure to have a look at the different Security settings (I use the "Security" preset for max protection), also have a look to settings, e.g. for enabling the "PUA/PUP detection" which is off by stock settings.

One last point: Programme does not update itself, make sure to hit the programme version button bottom left sometimes, as the non-essential version gets updates quite often (bug fixes and additional features, although Qihoo seldom states the amendments in their version history).

Qihoo 360 Total Security - The Pro's and Con's

(The thread is this one: VERSUS - Qhioo 360 TSE vs Sophos Home Free)

EDIT: I made a quick search with the Search Engine, seems it was only tested once:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/20-03-2016-9.57440/#post-494044

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Wd has its quirks and limitations when comparing to 360.
If you were to compare fortinet with wd then you would have a fair comparison.
I use 360ts when setting up systems for friends. Every now and again I check the systems and they are as clean as it can be though the browser extension is installed despite I didn't install.

A few systems on w10 the users didn't like 360 so I advised to simply uninstall and use wd. They didn't complain either. I have used wd extensively on w10 without any issues but considering TS with avira engine. Will see.

In terms of additional protection modules as been mentioned already 360 is more feature rich.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Techniques? Qihoo as an edge than Windows Defender, even though that AMSI helps to improve the detection of scripts but also available on third party.

At any day, Qihoo powered by cloud and its 2 license engines are well prepared compare to WD.

A third party AV can exert a lot of performance since the analysis and other components are carefully checked as they access OS vital parts then deploy more features like Sandbox and HIPS.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
This doesn't help at all.

TS360 is definitely a good choice, their detection rate is quite good, especially on early malware as @Der.Reisende said. Windows Defender is good as well. But feature and overall? TS360.
Thanks for linking me @Alkajak :) i already answered @mamamia who PMed me regarding this, will answer further questions in the evening, as I'm leaving for work now :)

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Windows defender on windows 10 has been improving, but is it any match for qihoo 360
The thing that has been improved in WIndows Defender on Windows 10 is the use of Cloud Based protection which allows for faster detection of malware already in the cloud database. Also, as everything in Windows 10, Windows Defender provides more information for example suspicious files automatically (which is not a bad thing). Also in the latest Insider Preview builds, it has a boot scanning option like the one in Avast (it runs a scan in PE environment). And then there is the Secure Boot with its Early Launch Antimalware function, but this can be used by any trusted AV. And Windows Defender only relies on generic definitions and its Heuristics are not that good.

Qihoo on its side is a very good AV. Its 360 cloud scan engine is also cloud based and they react to new malware really fast. QVMII is one of the best heuristic engines in the world. Then there is system repair engine (very few AVs check for malicious settings, usually they only check for malware files). And Bitdefender and Avira are the 2 best engines in the world with excellent definitions. If that's not enough, Qihoo has its own very effective HIPS. It also says that it has a behavior blocker, but I believe it's only a HIPS.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
My post had absolutely nothing to do with "privacy issues" why was it removed ?
Was it removed because you simply did not like my opinion ?
Heres my original post:
"
I chose WD, at least with WD I know what I am in for.
comparing these two is like comparing oranges & apples
Personally you could not pay me to use that software"
*nothing there is offensive or offtopic, right ?

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
My post had absolutely nothing to do with "privacy issues" why was it removed ?
Was it removed because you simply did not like my opinion ?
Nothing to do with liking or not your opinion. Guidelines not followed. Reason however was incorrectly entered due to being on the phone and mass deleting off topic posts

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
just do easy way guys.. make a test with all options max ? some malware samples and some web posible treaths lest see how works avast and 360ts iin actually posible infections.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You requested between:
  • Features (ie. Behaviour Blocker, Sandbox)
  • Overall Winner (and why?)
In terms of Features, Qihoo 360 can claim this title over Windows Defender, but that's not to say Windows Defender is any less better. In fact since Windows 10, it's been drastically improved including it's Cloud Protection.
  1. Windows Defender in Windows 10 has improved tamper protection, registry and folder modification tampering, and real-time protection service hardening
  2. It offers anti-malware cleaning in the Windows Recovery Environment
  3. In Windows 10, Microsoft implemented a new technology that allows Windows Defender to work closely with User Account Control (UAC) requests
  4. Windows 10 introduces new Secure Event Tracing for Windows which a security application that is running as a Protected Process such as Windows Defender can consume
  5. Windows Defender in Windows 10 has improved remediation, reporting, and malware detection capabilities
  6. Anti-malware Scanning Interface supports the notion of a session so that security products, such as Windows Defender, can correlate different scan requests.
Source: New technologies in Windows Defender on Windows 10

You (and others) may find that Qihoo 360 wins in terms of visible features, but can it match Windows Defender in Windows 10?

Personally, Windows Defender has been on the uprising since Windows 8.1 and it's reaching a point where it's making a difference.

Vanduss

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2015
You requested between:
  • Features (ie. Behaviour Blocker, Sandbox)
  • Overall Winner (and why?)
In terms of Features, Qihoo 360 can claim this title over Windows Defender, but that's not to say Windows Defender is any less better. In fact since Windows 10, it's been drastically improved including it's Cloud Protection.
  1. Windows Defender in Windows 10 has improved tamper protection, registry and folder modification tampering, and real-time protection service hardening
  2. It offers anti-malware cleaning in the Windows Recovery Environment
  3. In Windows 10, Microsoft implemented a new technology that allows Windows Defender to work closely with User Account Control (UAC) requests
  4. Windows 10 introduces new Secure Event Tracing for Windows which a security application that is running as a Protected Process such as Windows Defender can consume
  5. Windows Defender in Windows 10 has improved remediation, reporting, and malware detection capabilities
  6. Anti-malware Scanning Interface supports the notion of a session so that security products, such as Windows Defender, can correlate different scan requests.
Source: New technologies in Windows Defender on Windows 10

You (and others) may find that Qihoo 360 wins in terms of visible features, but can it match Windows Defender in Windows 10?

Personally, Windows Defender has been on the uprising since Windows 8.1 and it's reaching a point where it's making a difference.
ty mate, i think ill stay with qihoo 360 just because with all engines on, it's very secure. But ill check up on windows defender more often to see if it gets better.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.