Question about APKMirror.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

madgorilla

Thread author
Feb 16, 2015
Hi. I would like to download Facebook Lite for Android. Main Facebook app is too heavy and makes my phone barely usable. Unfortunately Facebook Lite is not available in my country. However, I found an apk file on apkmirror.com. The problem is that I don't know if it is safe to download apps from that site. I am also wondering how could I verify if an app downloaded from source other than Google Play is malicious or not. It seems that I could scan it using virustotal.com but I don't know if antivirus engines used by virustotal are able to detect malware designed for Android system. This is why I would like to ask you what you think about APKMirror.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
apkmirror.com has an "excellent" site rating on WOT
Here is the VirusTotal results(0/62) from the site URL https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/e...84c2e3be7f6fded71309826f48254f82319/analysis/

You can submit the any apk. or executable file here for malware analysis http://anubis.iseclab.org/

apkscan.nviso.be is also pretty good at scanning an apk.

Virustotal has an Android App also

I believe ClamAV is also able to scan apk.

I am scanning it right now and will let you know the result in a few minutes

Most AV's can scan an apk. though

Last edited:

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Every aplication downloaded from Third-part is potential unsafe. My friend download from this site some games and i now cleaning his phone. :)

Androiduser88

Jul 14, 2016
Would anyone be able to check on the Pokemon go app on akpmirror.com? There have been a lot of stories going around about a malicious version. I have a phone that doesn't have access to it in the play store otherwise I wouldn't bother with the app.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Androiduser88

Jul 14, 2016
Sorry guys, I didn't know it would be a hassle. The OP just seemed like he knew his stuff and I wanted to get it checked out by someone savvy. I'd do it myself but I'm afraid I'd miss something and end up infecting my phone or worse.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Any reason that you device cannot access the Google Play Store?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
APKmirror is so far the safe 3rd party download site however make sure to check any possible malicious programs.

(Many of my friends went there and no infections occurred after they download the preferred programs)

Sometimes the unofficial/unverified programs may lead you to something untoward so better stick to Play Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.