Advice Request Question: Edge blank new tab, always shows MSN cookie prompt

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
On my Asus Transformer Windows 10 32bits Home, all setting sshould be identical to my wife's Yoga 520 wth 64 bits Windows 10. I checked all Edge settigs (as far as I know they are exactly identical). On 32 bits machine Edge starts with a compleet blank page, On 64 bits system I have also set vlabk tab to start, but it always dispkays an ugly black MSN cookie prompt.

Any ideas how to get rid of this annoying cookie prompt?

1533331172631.png

Reactions: vtqhtr413

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Under settings:
Open new tabs with
- A blank page
Open Microsoft Edge with
- A specific page or pages
- Set the URL to "about:blank" and save it.

Supposedly Edge starts the "New Tab" selection with "about:start" which causes the cookie prompt.

This only fixes the main page when you open Edge though. Opening a new tab within the same session will cause the cookie prompt.

Reactions: Windows_Security

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@root/ Thanks for the reply.

I really have no idea what I did on the 32 bits machine to stop the irritating prompt showing.

Is there an extension which allows the new tab to be changed in Edge?

Reactions: slash/

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Breeze Extension is the only option, but it reduces security.

You'd have to enable developer mode in Edge and import the extension manually. It does not exist on the Microsoft Store. I've just installed it to test it out before recommending it to you, and it does work. I've set my New Tab page to "about:blank" and it works seamlessly.

Try resetting your Edge settings, I personally haven't gotten the cookie prompt again after the first time I hit "Accept".

Last edited:
Reactions: Windows_Security

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Wait a minute, I ran WSRESET.EXE (resets windows store apps), CLEANMGR.EXE to free up space on the 32GB SSD drive of my Transformer. I will try on my wife's Yoga520 monday. Thanks for the tip

Reactions: slash/
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.