64-bit OS
Security Updates
Automatic Updates - All security and feature updates
User Access Control
Always Notify - For App installs, Modify system & User settings
Device Firewall
Windows Firewall - Network security provided by Microsoft
Device Security
Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
User Account
Administrator - User has complete control over the device
Recent Security Incidents
No malware or privacy issues
Malware Testing
None - No Malware on host PC or VM
Real-time Web & Malware Protection
Emsisoft, OSArmor 1.4 , SysHardener
Security Protection settings
Custom - Major changes for Increased Security
Virus and Malware Removal Tools
NPE
Browsers and Extensions
Chrome (Ublock Origin, Ublock Origin extra, Malwarebytes Extension beta)
Web Privacy
Ublock Origin
Password Management
Bitwarden
System Utilities collection
Using built in programs within Windows/Browsers
Data Backup
External USB,/HDD, Onedrive, Sync, One HDD backup of all data kept offsite if needed.
Frequency of Data backups
Weekly
System Backup
Using image created from Windows 10 media creation tool
Frequency of System backups
Rarely

Raiden

Level 4
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Removed:

Voodooshield
Windows Defender Browser Protection

Added:
OSArmor 1.4 final release (removed beta version updated to release version)

ESET Internet Security, Voodooshield, OSArmor 1.4 beta, SysHardener: this sounds a bit overkill :eek:

You don't need VoodooShield there after all the others tools...
Overkill...is there ever such a thing :ROFLMAO:

Actually I've been trying to make a concerted effort to simplify my setup lately, as I've come to realize more is not always better. I've already taken your advice and removed VS (y)

That's why I have 2 backups.
1, Clean, basic windows install, because it takes 3 minutes to recover (Macrium Reflect) instead of the complete installation process.
2, The actual system.
That's a great idea, one I've never thought of before. Next time I need to freshen up my system, I'll do a clean install of Windows and make 2 images.

Raiden

Level 4
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Removed:

ESET Internet Security

Nothing wrong with ESET, I think its an awesome product with lots of great features, but I missed having my central management of SHP. I know I talked about not having easy local access to my settings, but after much thought I realized that once I setup my program, I rarely, if ever, go and make changes. Also, thanks to the manual link posted by davisd, I found out that you can set it up so that you can access the settings page without having to enter your password every time!

Macrium Reflect:
Nothing wrong with Macrium, I think its a great program and I can see why so many people like it. I've come to realize that I still prefer my previous method of using the Windows 10 Installation media (from the Media creation tool) to restore my system(s). I know it won't be corrupted and it just works. I don't have any personal files on my computer, nor many programs, so for me I really won't be saving too much time restoring from an image vs the installation media. Please, I don't want anyone to think that I am against images, I fully appreciate why a lot of people like having/using them, its just that for my needs/uses I prefer my method :)

Added:
Sophos home premium
Windows Installation media (updated after every major windows 10 release)

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 19
Verified
Things you could add to your current setup:
  • Privacy: Windscribe VPN & Sandboxie
  • Chrome Extensions: Decentraleyes, Netcraft, Privacy Possum, ScriptSafe or Script Defender & Cookie Autodelete
  • On demand scanners: Zemana Anti-Malware
  • PUPs: Unchecky
Everything else looks well and truly covered, thanks for sharing.

~LDogg

Raiden

Level 4
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Things you could add to your current setup:
  • Privacy: Windscribe VPN & Sandboxie
  • Chrome Extensions: Decentraleyes, Netcraft, Privacy Possum, ScriptSafe or Script Defender & Cookie Autodelete
  • On demand scanners: Zemana Anti-Malware
  • PUPs: Unchecky
Everything else looks well and truly covered, thanks for sharing.

~LDogg
Thanks for the recommendations!

I recently added Privacy Possum and Decentaleyes to chrome, I will definitely take a look at the others. I've been meaning to look at a VPN solution, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but hopefully soon!

LDogg

Level 19
Verified
No problem, Raiden. Glad I could recommend you some decent extensions for Chrome.
Privacy Possum & Decentraleyes definitely complement each other.

Windscribe is a very good option as a free VPN. Fast, no privacy invading logs, but is Canadian based I believe, one of the 5 Eyes countries.
Using Opera Google Chrome Store extension definitely helps in knowing which extensions would be a good fit for people that use the native GC browser

~LDogg

Raiden

Level 4
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Well after much thought, I have decided to simplfy my setup even further and use more of whats built into Windows. Personally I think Microsoft has done a great job with Windows defender and the protections build in to Windows 10, while they are far from perfect, it has come a long ways from where it was before. I've also decided to use more of the tools build within Windows/browsers (ie: disk cleanup) as they do a fairly good job (mind you a little slower) and its one less program that I have to keep up to date.

SHP: I really like this program and personally think its a great program. I have had no issues with SHP, but I just wanted to see what my system would be like, simplifying it further, and quite honestly I like the simplified setup. I will most definitely keep a very close eye on SHP and may revisit it in the future after the next major update(s).

Right now I am very happy with WD and OSA, I think its a great simple combo and is very light. I practice safe browsing habits, so I don't need anything overkill and quite frankly I've come to realize that more is not always better. I may consider adding either VS or NVT ERP 4 along side WD and OSA, but as of right now I don't feel like its needed.

Removed:
SHP
Norton Safe Web
Wise disk cleaner portable (again no issues, but using the built in tools within Windows/browsers works very well).

Added:
Windows Defender (max settings with configure defender)
Malwarebytes extension beta

Raiden

Level 4
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Does SHP slow down your system ?
For me no, I found it to be very light on my system. One thing Sophos tends to do is cache everything after it has been installed, so some people notice some slow downs when that's happening, but usually once its done caching its super light. Unfortunately there is no set time on how long it takes to cache and seems to be dependent on your internet speed. Some people have found it a little heavy in the past, but since releasing version 1.3 Sophos seems to have addressed those issues in my experience.

Raiden

Level 4
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Well I did it again :emoji_flushed:

I recently installed Emsisoft after I realized I still have a valid licence and wanted to test the latest update. Needless to say I remember now why I liked using Emsisoft. It's simple, there's no fuss/fancy/useless crap, very good protection and very good support. I'm going to keep it paired up with OSArmor to fill in some of the gaps. After readings some posts from Emsisoft staff about some new tech coming in the next few updates, has me excited to see what they have up their sleeve. I can honestly say that I am happy, content and will not be changing this config, barring some unforeseen major issues.

Removed:

Windows defender (with Configure Defender)
EEK (Don't need, have Emsisoft installed)

Added:

Emsisoft

Raiden

Level 4
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
I agree! I've used it for a while and always liked it. I got away from it for a while to try out a few different products and I soon realized that no product is perfect, they all have their pros and cons. At the end of it all I was glad I tried out the other products, I learned a lot, but most importantly I've come back around to something that suits me and my needs very well! (y)