RAMDisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
RAMDisk is the right product for you if you have a disk I/O bound application that is small enough to fit in main memory. RAMDisk is also great for storing frequently accessed data such as temp files, page files, browser caches and database index files. RAMDisk is freeware up to 4GB disk sizes.

- Speed up Internet page load times
- Control what files and programs are stored into memory (loaded at boot time)
- Create temporary disks for added security
- Speed up disk-to-disk activities such as video encryption and audio ripping
- Accelerate databases
- Reduce compile times

RAMDisk

After recently obtaining a new PC that has 8GB DDR3 RAM (Full PC specs in signature) I decided to try RAMDisk.

I dedicated 2GB of memory for Windows TEMP/TMP files and my browser cache. I also installed my browser, SRWare Iron directly to the RAMDisk.

LESU1.png

BIqxX.png

After 3 days use of RAMDisk, Most of my most visited websites have been cached and when I visit them now, They close to instantly load.
Also launching SRWare Iron loads instantly, By the time my finger releases the left click on the mouse, SRWare is already open.

Disk Test:

Internal HDD:
8no5x.png

RAMDisk:
08K2P.png

By researching proper benchmarks and feedback, Many prefer it over a SSD.

I used SRWare on the HDD before trying RAMDisk, It never launched as fast nor did web pages load as quickly. As for websites I don't wish to be cached, I simply browse them in Incognito mode.

Contents in Ramdisk is stored in computer RAM, which will be lost when the power of computer is switched off or restarted.

Many claim that as a bad downside with using RAM disks.

Not for the RAMDisk utility I'm using.

dC8V5.png

I'm looking to hear your feedback if you have tried it before or you are currently using it. What do you think of it? ;) Over hyped? or a great tool for those with extra RAM laying around.

Thanks.

Reactions: Adz.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
It's similar to eBoostr which i'm using now to cache my frequent applications/programs.

Never try it before since i have limited RAM, so can't comment.
Where else with eBoostr i can use flash drive as a cached than relying on RAM.

Thanks

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Besides browsers, putting your photoshop scratchdisk on this would be perfect.

Z

ZeroDay

I also have 8gb DDR3 Ram and I'll defiantly be giving this a try. Thanks for the share :)

P

Plexx

I got only a 6gb ddr3. contemplating if I should give it a try or not. Opinions/Suggestions?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
Just a heads up, I released a step by step guide for setting up your own RAMDisk. :)

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Speed-up-Chrome-Firefox-by-using-a-RAM-disk

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I will use RAMDisk on my new laptop, whenever that may be. :) Thanks for the share and guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.