App Review RansomFree by Cybereason

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
if you only have a C drive, and you don't mind donating a couple GB on your hard disk to the program, based on CS's vid it looks like it will greatly increase your chances of surviving a ransomware attack, especially the most common types.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
KGB- K is very good, but BD hardly has a good dedicated Anti-ransomware module. Bypassing BDAR is like a knife through soft butter.

Also- The talk at Wilders about the lack of protection for other partitions was quite shocking to me. The Users space is the easiest to defend, and if there are breaches here a user should have no reasonable expectation that protection would be afforded in other areas. If you see Documents being encrypted because a product can't catch it, the probability of infection in other areas is at the sole discretion of the malware and not for any protection scheme.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I counted 5 infections by ransomwares. Can't see the names of some but I saw Petya. Does anyone knows what are the names of the ransomwares that caused the infections? It would be fair to see whether the infections are indeed what RansomFree are not protecting against.right? RansomFree is good against Locky, Cryptowall, TeslaCrypt, Jigsaw and Cerber

As for infecting the second partition it doesn't affect me as I mentioned I have only one drive partition on my MS SP4.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Harbor- If you notice a Cerber did get by the product. But ANY bypass should outrage you. Security should aspire to perfection and not "Close Enough".
OK, I re-looked at the video and I saw Cerber. However, is that strain you used the same as RansomFree is protecting against?

I want to mention something about testing and bypassing a software, in fact, for any software that matters. You can easily defeat the software by testing it against malwares that the software is not protecting against. No single software can protect every piece of malware. Kaspersky has 1 billion malware signatures in its database. If you used that 1 billion malware to test against any AV/AM software I guarantee almost, if not, all will fail.

This is similar to RansomFree. Knowing the limitations of the software it would be better to use a combo of software for effective protection for the combo will compliment each other's weakness and, in the process, may also cause compatibility issue. It's up to the user to experiment and come up with the best combo of software to suit his needs.

Thanks

Last edited:
M

MalwareBlockerYT

AVG also isn't bad. Back when I tested its IDP few days ago, it was really good at ransom prevention.
Really? I haven't tested AVG in a long time but when I last tested it, it wasn't really very good in any aspects of the test - this was over a year ago though..

If you used that 1 billion malware to test against any software I guarantee almost all will fail.

What? If you tested 1 billion samples against Kaspersky then Kaspersky would block those files which you mentioned since you just said Kaspersky has 1 billion samples in its database.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What? If you tested 1 billion samples against Kaspersky then Kaspersky would block those files which you mentioned since you just said Kaspersky has 1 billion samples in its database.
When I said that it implies others' software, ok? And I'm not sure Kaspersky can protect itself against those 1 billion malwares. For this you have to ask Kaspersky

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
OK, I re-looked at the video and I saw Cerber. However, is that strain you used the same as RansomFree is protecting against?

I want to mention something about testing and bypassing a software, in fact, for any software that matters. You can easily defeat the software by testing it against malwares that the software is not protecting against. No single software can protect every piece of malware. Kaspersky has 1 billion malware signatures in its database. If you used that 1 billion malware to test against any AV/AM software I guarantee almost, if not, all will fail.

This is similar to RansomFree. Knowing the limitations of the software it would be better to use a combo of software for effective protection for the combo will compliment each other's weakness and, in the process, may also cause compatibility issue. It's up to the user to experiment and come up with the best combo of software to suit his needs.

Thanks
I would add to the above that we don't know of any antiransomware product that always works. Only the default/deny solutions can do this, and not every user is ready for such a hardcore solution, for various valid reasons.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.