Not open for further replies.

NathanF1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Massive increase in Ransomware threatens Internet users

Emsisoft said:
The last months have shown a massive increase in ransomware infections with new variants, droppers and infection methods each day. We have previously discussed ransomware in 2011 - The Renaissance of Ransomware, but because the risk of catching such an infection has increased so much we want to afford it extra attention to make computer users aware and point out preventive measures.

There are two main categories of ransomware, the so-called screenlockers and crypto ransomware. Screenlockers are wide-spread; they use exploit kits, infected sites and downloads and target home users as well as corporate computer users. Crypto ransomware often (but not exclusively) spreads through dedicated server hacks and home users will not be affected as much by this category of ransomware.

Knowledge Base Article

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Nice article although the purpose is to increase sales of Emsisoft products.

Things that you need that are important, all cases of ransonware infections that I have seen involve fake alert websites that prompt users to download and run infected files. So the ransomware has to be manually downloaded and installed by the user, it doesn't use vulnerabilities or any advanced methods to infect your system. Watch what you download and install and you should be safe from ransomware. There is no need to add several security products for protection, since most will fail to stop the infections if you manually download and run the infected files. Just don't download files from unknown sources.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:

Most of the time, they introduce their products at the end of the article, but still informative.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Littlebits said:

Things that you need that are important, all cases of ransonware infections that I have seen involve fake alert websites that prompt users to download and run infected files. So the ransomware has to be manually downloaded and installed by the user, it doesn't use vulnerabilities or any advanced methods to infect your system. Watch what you download and install and you should be safe from ransomware. There is no need to add several security products for protection, since most will fail to stop the infections if you manually download and run the infected files. Just don't download files from unknown sources.

Emsisoft does make a good point though. Ransomware infections have increased and a lot of users will not watch what they download.
For example, Casual PC users around the holidays will start buying things online and check their email to see a notification from some company such as ups or fedex claiming something about something the user ordered, So the regular user would open the attachment without knowing the danger.
I did notice but very rarely that ransoms can travel through exploits and drive by downloads waiting to be executed by a remote hacker.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The year has only just begun. There will be a lot more worse cases during the year.

F

Fabian Wosar

Littlebits said:
Things that you need that are important, all cases of ransonware infections that I have seen involve fake alert websites that prompt users to download and run infected files.
Then you haven't looked very closely. The recent Java exploits for example have been used to spread Reveton by a lot of the exploit drop sites.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Fabian Wosar said:
Littlebits said:
Things that you need that are important, all cases of ransonware infections that I have seen involve fake alert websites that prompt users to download and run infected files.
Then you haven't looked very closely. The recent Java exploits for example have been used to spread Reveton by a lot of the exploit drop sites.

In that case which I do believe is very rare, users should disabled Java from their web browsers because no solution not even Emsisoft will be able to detect all of the Java exploits.

I do use Java for some of my programs but I do have it disabled in my web browsers. Having Java enabled in your web browsers is like asking for an infection no matter what type of security products you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.