Ransomware, Data Breaches at Hospitals tied to Uptick in Fatal Heart Attacks

Antus67

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
Author: Brian Krebs
Hospitals that have been hit by a data breach or ransomware attack can expect to see an increase in the death rate among heart patients in the following months or years because of cybersecurity remediation efforts, a new study posits. Health industry experts say the findings should prompt a larger review of how security — or the lack thereof — may be impacting patient outcomes.

Last edited by a moderator:

boutthatlife

Level 1
Verified
Mar 15, 2019
“The exploitation of cybersecurity vulnerabilities is killing people,” Scanlon told KrebsOnSecurity. “There is a lot of possible research that might be unleashed by this study. I believe that nothing less than a congressional investigation will give the subject the attention it deserves.”

if this is the case then these hackers need to be charged with attempted murder or murder.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You're unlikely to catch very many to prosecute, they're usually protected by their governments and almost impossible to trace. There's surely an international coalition of law enforcement and cyber crime experts but I don't read enough about any of these crooks being caught/prosecuted.

I say: go after the greedy hospital CFOs and the lazy, incompetent administrators. Ransomware can run only if it's enabled to do so, on vulnerable systems. Ransomware is a fact of life, no excuses. Funding can be reassigned and re-allocated. It's like blaming the vicious dog and not its handler in these matters.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.