Not open for further replies.

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
While ransomware has evolved into targeted attacks rather than mass spam campaigns, it is still a significant threat to businesses and consumers. Microsoft must agree, as in the upcoming Spring Creators Update, Microsoft has added a dedicated Ransomware Protection section in the Windows Defender Security Center settings.

This new Ransomware Protection section is located in the Windows Defender Security Center under the "Virus & threat protection" settings.

When going into the Ransomware protection section, you will currently only see the Controlled folder access tool. Controlled Folder Access is a feature that allows you to protect files in certain folders to that they cannot be modified by unknown applications. This protects the files within these folders from being encrypted by a ransomware infection.
Full article: Ransomware Protection Section Included in Windows 10's Spring Creators Update

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
I don't understand why they won't make it similar to how other AV vendors like Sophos does. This current implementation doesn't make any sense to me.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Well, at least they're trying even if it does look like it's going to be a case of trial and error. I'm not Microsoft's biggest fan but credit where credit is due they are really trying to drastically improve Windows built in security and for the most part they're succeeding maybe another couple of attempts and they'll nail the ransomware protection. Thanks for the share.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
It is a good implementation for sure, with obvious limitations due to the fact that outside these folders, the documents are vulnerable and if you are infected by a ransomware while you're working with lots of files around your PC, these files are gone.
But again, it is appreciable this additional security level.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I don't get it why this garbage has ZERO whitelisting even though its page says that it has one. It kept on blocking stuff from safe apps. Stupid and annoying. It could be a great feature if it worked. But it's broken and has been since Fall Update...

Reactions: brambedkar59
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.