Razer Phone release date, news and features

Transhumana

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The Razer Phone has been officially revealed at the firm's global launch in London, and it's billed as the handset for gamers.

With the world's first 120Hz smartphone display, powerful dual front-facing speakers, a heap of power under the hood and a few game exclusives thrown in for good measure, there's no questioning its gaming credentials. (...)
  • What is it? Razer's first gaming smartphone
  • When is it out? Pre-order: Nov 1 | Release date: Nov 17
  • What will it cost? $699, £699 (around AU$890)
gjVgiynbwnLsZiW2y55mpA-650-80.jpg

Razer Phone display
  • 5.7-inch QHD LCD display
  • Supports up to 120fps for fluid gaming
The Razer Phone has a 5.72-inch QHD (1440 x 2560) LCD display with a wide color gamut and a 120Hz refresh rate, ensuring that it’s finely tuned for gaming performance.

It’s the only smartphone display in the world to offer this level of refresh rate, and the Razer Phone is smart enough to know when to apply the maximum level and when it can take things a bit easier, which should save on battery life.

The LCD panel has allowed Razer to reach this refresh rate on its first ever smartphone, but it does mean the screen lacks a little of the colorful pop you find in AMOLED panels.

The Razer Phone comes with two, big front-facing speakers which have been tuned to Dolby Atmos standards for excellent audio performance, and it’s also the world’s first phone to be certified by THX.

Each speaker also has its own amp, and together they can provide 3D virtualization of sound, meaning it should sound just as good from behind as in front.

A 24-bit DAC, also certified by THX, is provided for headphone input, to provide boosted audio when you’re not using the built in speakers.

The DAC is built into the headphone adapter (which plugs into the USB-C port) you get in the box, as the Razer Phone doesn't come with a headphone jack

Razer Phone performance
  • Snapdragon 835 chipset and 8GB of RAM
  • 64GB of storage with a microSD slot
The Razer Phone packs in the latest power with a Snapdragon 835 chipset and 8GB RAM – allowing you to run high-power apps (Twitch, YouTube, game) with no lag/slow down.

Currently only the 128GB variant of the OnePlus 5 can boast the same amount of RAM as the Razer Phone.

It runs Android 7.1.1 Nougat out of the box, but Razer has said it’ll bring Android 8 Oreo to the handset in Q1 of 2018, and there’s 64GB of storage plus a microSD card slot packed in too.

Razer Phone battery
  • Big 4,000mAh battery
  • Quick charge goes from 0%-85% in one hour
The Razer Phone comes with a big 4,000mAh battery making it one of the biggest batteries around - matching the Huawei Mate 10 Pro.

Razer claims you can watch 12.5 hours of video on single charge, or 63.5 hours of music playback, or 7 hours of Hearthstone.

It's also the first phone to offer Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+, getting you from 0% to 85% in one hour.

Razer Phone games
The Razer Phone comes with Game Booster, which optimizes the phone for game play. You can choose to up performance, turn off notifications and fine tune game play on a game by game basis.

Razer has worked with a number of game developers to create Quad HD, 120Hz versions of their games to run exclusively on the Razer Phone including Arena of Valor, Tekken and Final Fantasy XV.

The Razer Phone also has its own exclusive, brand new game called Ultra Hunt.

Razer Phone design

• Takes its cues from the Nextbit Robin
    • Blocky, bezel-heavy beast of a phone
    • No headphone jack
The Razer Phone uses the basic design of the Nextbit Robin, a phone built by a manufacturer Razer acquired earlier in 2017, but it’s made some modifications.

Razer’s iconic black finish from its laptops has been extended to its phone, with a large Razer logo on the back. The front facing speakers have also been given a sizable upgrade, which huge grills above and below the display.

A fingerprint scanner is built into the home button, located on the right side of the handset, while two volume dot keys are on the left.

There’s no headphone jack, with just a USB-C port on the base of the phone, but a 3.5mm headphone jack adapter is included in the box with the Razer Phone.

It measures 158 x 78 x 8mm and tips the scales at 197g - making it lighter than the iPhone 8 Plus.

Razer Phone camera

• 12MP dual rear cameras
    • 8MP front facing camera
The Razer Phone comes with dual 12MP cameras on its rear, which offer a seamless zoom between the two lenses.

Slow motion capture, 120Hz video capture and portrait mode will all roll out to the Razer Phone’s camera in the coming months via software updates.

Official website: Smartphone for Gamers - Razer Phone

Would you consider buying this phone or you'd rather stick with your favorite well-established mobile phone manufacturers?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
The maximal amount I've ever spent on a phone was 290 € and that was for my first smartphone. I'm using HTC Desire 610 now and I think my next phone will be an Xiaomi device. I've read a lot about them and it appears that Xiaomi produces very good phones, with decent hardware and not expensive at all. :D

Last edited:

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Looks good. Has some good specs but I'm wondering if this will only be available for GSM networks.

I just picked up my Note 8 but would be interested in this brand in the future if they keep developing more. Hopefully for CDMA networks as well.

Transhumana

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The maximal amount I've ever spent on a phone was 290 € and that was for my first smartphone. I'm using HTC Desire 610 now and I think my next phone will be an Xiaomi device. I've read a lot about them and it appears that Xiaomi produces very good phones, with decent hardware and not expensive at all. :D

I never had Xiaomi so far and I really don't know much about them, but when I tried googling them this also came up in results
Xiaomi Can Silently Install Any App On Your Android Phone Using A Backdoor
:unsure:

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015

Transhumana

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
To be honest, I've never heard for these backdoor issues. Thanks for the link! :)

If they really have backdoor installed, I don't get why are they so popular in Europe. :unsure:

Luckily, I haven't purchased new device nor I'm planning to while my HTC works great. :D

I don't know if those accusations are correct, but still you can never be careful enough and it's probably a good idea to stick with your HTC (which is great, by the way :D) for at least until you can find some more info on that :D

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I don't know if those accusations are correct, but still you can never be careful enough and it's probably a good idea to stick with your HTC (which is great, by the way :D) for at least until you can find some more info on that :D
After you have posted the link to the article, I've Googled a little bit and someone on Xiaomi forums said that analytics app is removed from later MIUI versions. Unfortunately, I don't know if that's true.

These kind of articles always make me stay with trusted phone brands. I'm really satisfied with HTC device, but they can sometimes be really pricey. :D

P

plat1098

My big Lenovo weighs a "ton" and is tethered to the wall w/many wires. If I'm that addicted to gaming that I would forego the big graphics and sound in favor of a little robber-magnet while slumped in the NYC subway, well......:oops: Who makes the big battery, I wonder. :unsure:

This is the same Razer that makes the high-end gaming laptops, right? :) But this is the debut of the smartphone style, something I would keep an eye on, if interested, for future developements before making the investment.

zawux

Jan 16, 2018
This is the same Razer that makes the mod apk high-end gaming laptops, right? :) But this is the debut of the smartphone style, something I would keep an eye on, if interested, for future developements before making the investment.

Thanks for sharing but it is not for my pockets :p
I am with my old. .... old ... S3 that still works fine, and I hope for a long time :)

I cannot see paying the price of a decent laptop or definitely decent tower PC for a mobile phone.

Soon the technophiles and trend setters will by vying to pay $1000 for the next level of mobile hardware. The OEMs are starting to push it now.

Throw in the $300+ per month mobile phone bill that some people pay and that is just absolutely bonkerz.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
@Transhumana Remember when I mentioned Xiaomi? Well, they apparently have one Android One phone, Xiaomi Mi A1 and it comes with clean version of Android, directly from Google. You get only three Xiaomi apps installed; camera app, remote controller app and feedback app, and it's not even THAT expensive. The only downside is that recorded videos have really bad sound (apparently, noise cancellation mic is activated instead normal one) and I don't know if that can be fixed manually or you'd need to wait for Xiaomi to fix it. :)

Transhumana

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
@Transhumana Remember when I mentioned Xiaomi? Well, they apparently have one Android One phone, Xiaomi Mi A1 and it comes with clean version of Android, directly from Google. You get only three Xiaomi apps installed; camera app, remote controller app and feedback app, and it's not even THAT expensive. The only downside is that recorded videos have really bad sound (apparently, noise cancellation mic is activated instead normal one) and I don't know if that can be fixed manually or you'd need to wait for Xiaomi to fix it. :)

Thanks for the info, I haven't seen this one before. :) What's its price here in Croatia?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.