Re-Installing of Operating System harms HDD (Good or Bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I want to know that does Installing windows again & again does it harm the HDD.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
The life expectancy of a hard disk depends on several factors, such as operation hours, the amount of transferred data, the disk’s average fragmentation rate, and even the temperature in the computer casing. Certainly there are differences regarding the hard drive manufacturing quality of the various vendors and models.

So yes if you re-install windows again and again you are actually increasing the amount of data transfer which would have been other wise much lower

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
To answer the question: Yes.. sort of.

As madyrocksin says it depends on a lot of factors. However, the life expectancy of a descend SSD where you write 50% of the drives capacity to the drive every day, is around the 5 year mark. The average consumer doesn't even come close to that.
So even if you reinstall the OS on a semi-regular basis you will still see a fair amount of years from your drive.

D

Deleted member 178

Your question is like "if i drive my car everyday does the engine will be down faster?" i can say without any doubt , YES :p

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
MrExplorer, I would say Yes. It will reduce the life of our HDD...

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Mean Formatting harms the HDD. as when you install Windows you need to format the drive.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
It may, but think about the hard drives at schools where they do it all the time teaching students how to install windows daily...are they replacing hard drives alot? probably not. I'm not too worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.