Guide | How To [Read] Am I Infected? - Symptoms of Infection!

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Rogue987

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015

O1kkWYh.png

Am I Infected? - Symptoms of Infection!

Am I Infected?
Dialogue Boxes - If you have troubling dialogue boxes saying that a certain file or program won't open this may be a bad sign.
Slowness - If your computer has been really slow lately and hasn't ran this way any other time this may also be another bad sign that you computer may be infected.
Blasting Network Activity - If your router has been blinking indicating that a high level of activity is happening this isn't good.
Blacklisted IP Notifications - If you have been getting notifications that your IP has been blacklisted consider this as your PC is not in good hands.
Unexpected Disabling - If things such as your Anti-Virus, CMD, or TaskManager has been randomly disabled this is a sign that you are surely infected or have a rogue application on your system.
Random/Weird Emails - If your contacts have told you that they are getting emails from your account but you know it isn't from you is a very bad sign.
Excessive HDD Space Loss - If you have lost a good amount of HDD space in the past few days and you haven't installed anything this is a sign that something obviously isn't right.

This thread is a WIP so if anyone has anything to add just post it below and I will surely add it!

Reactions: kiric96 and Oxygen

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Excessive HDD Space Loss - If you have lost a good amount of HDD space in the past few days and you haven't installed anything this is a sign that something obviously isn't right.

Shadow Copies could take up GB's of space at a time, so people would have to think about that first. They would have to delete Shadow Copies and then check to see if anything else is taking up all of that space.

The thread is off to a great start though.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.