Advice Request Rebranded F-Secure) of Dutch ISP, does it looks like a mainstream product from F-Secure?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
As the thread title states, my ISP in the Netherlands offers a free version of F-Secure Antivirus. Just curious whether members recognize this? I tried it in the past, but it was a dumbed down version with few tweakable options. With this version I am able to exclude Windows and Program Files folders from AV-blacklist scanning and Deep Guard. My AppLocker rules are so granular that I trust this narrowed down whitelist enough to not use (omit using) an AV in UAC-protected folders.

In User Folders only Microsoft, Mozilla, Google and F-Secure signed executables are allowed to run (no hassle with updates). So it is a nice bonus when an Anti-Virus checks these User Folders for known malware (FS virus scanner) or has a closer look at behavior of suspicious programs (FS deep guard), without slowing down program startups from UAC-protected folders.

1542557693707.png

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
FS in general has very few options that users can tweak.

What does the "About" show? Usually ISP versions lag behind the stable releases :(

No about version info or any version information at help.

In previous versions I could change very little. With the ransomware (folders) protection option, I am also able to exclude DeepGuard and Virus Scanner to check UAC-protected folders. This really makes a difference on my old Dual Core Pentium Desktop.

PLEASE NOTE Windows & Program Files are protected by AppLocker (only specified signers are allowed to run in specific folders)

1542557417818.png

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
My isp also has this. Telenet advertises this as the same product as regular f-secure but with another skin. It comes as a monthly subscription. Used it for a few months, but that is already 10 years ago or so.
10_compsec_status.png

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Be careful with these rebrands.

My ISP offered this, but they were always (way) behind on versions. Also I found they inserted a local ISP Root Certificate Authority onto each system it was installed on for NXD redirection on bad URL's. I believe ultimately (after a few years) F-Secure pulled their agreement because of this. But it left a bad taste in my mouth for F-Secure rebrands.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Did some test wirh executables from Malc0de and VX-Vault and it blocked them all. It still uses Bitdefender engine.

@ForgottenSeer 58943 i have blocked adding root certifcates through group policy by local admins, that is why MBAM and AVIRA won't install on my Windows7 PC, so thanks for the warning,

That's good.

Keep in mind, everyone can get a year free of F-Secure for 5 devices using the Virgin Mobile link and a VPN that can notch you over to a UK IP address just for registration. (it's not needed after) Renewal under that plan is only 25$ a year.. Probably the best deal to get on for F-Secure. Since the new F-Secure safe is coming out with the much improved engine, it's probably worth snatching it.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I gave F-secure a try a few months back as I've always liked it & it's interface. After making a registration (a pain) I attempted install, it quickly came up that HitManPro.Alert, SpywareBlaster, Trojan Remover, Shadow Defender were incompatible - Trojan Remover is just passive & it along with SpywareBlaster could go, but not Shadow Defender, it's invaluable when the grand kids come or other who like to faff & helpful when I do a bit of work from home.

At the moment I only run ESET & HitManPro.Alert but for me F-Secure is OTT in it's issues with incompatibles. Of course many will be happy with it's behaviour, but not me - Unless there is a workaround I missed?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
No about version info or any version information at help.
It's at least no less then version 17.3 as that was the first release with the extra Ransomware option. But even if this is a free ISP version I would still recommend follow the advice from @ForgottenSeer 58943 and get the Virgin offer in the Giveaway section as with that one it's 100% sure the latest stable version 17.4 and also the soon upcoming Capricorn engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.