Troubleshoot Recently was given a toshiba satellite c55t and clean slated it but I'm getting a weird Bios Issue

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Boots PXE IPV4 & IPV6 before booting windows 10
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Tried looking in the UEFI Shell no option to remove Lan from boot sequence.
I recently acquired a brand new barely used Toshiba satellite c55t and I slapped a 500gb ssd evo850 in it and reinstalled everything upgraded it from a windows8 pro I had. Then formated it and reinstalled windows 10 clean. I installed CIS Pro did the windows updates. And all of the sudden it started booting into PXE mode before windows booted. So I got into this atrocious UEFI Shell they have for this thing and looked around for the lan in boot sequence. The boot order was fine with Lan being last. Now I said the uefi shell was bad b/c I can't remove Lan from the boot sequence list. So it keeps booting PXE before windows and it gives me the option to hit esc and cancel out of it, I always do but its a pita and I'm wondering how I stop this from coming up when I can't remove it in the BIOS. If I straight up turn the LAN adapter off it works but then the LAN doesn't work at all so I'm basically stuck. Maybe someone has more insight on this issue I did a bunch of googling and I came up with nothing: everyone wants you to remove the Lan option from boot sequence...Well what if I can't?

A

Alkajak

Not 100%, but the best I've got;

1. On another computer, download the official LAN driver from the Toshiba support website. On Toshiba laptop, go to Device Manager, uninstall LAN driver and driver software (tick). Install the official driver. Reboot into BIOS. Set to defaults. Reboot.

2. Set BIOS to default. Clean format.

PXE usually points to a HDD issue. But you say your computer boots just fine if LAN is disabled? That seems super odd to me. I'm not sure if it is software or hardware. My two cents until someone that knows what they're talking about shows up.

Reactions: pneuma1985
Upvote 0

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Yup the laptop boots fine with the lan adapter disabled. No PXE shows up. Oh I did forget to mention it does have a 5tb outboard attached to via usb 3.0 I'm gonna try removing the drivers real quick see if that works thanks for the input will give it a go right now. Both the SSD and HDD are brand new also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Not 100%, but the best I've got;

1. On another computer, download the official LAN driver from the Toshiba support website. On Toshiba laptop, go to Device Manager, uninstall LAN driver and driver software (tick). Install the official driver. Reboot into BIOS. Set to defaults. Reboot.

2. Set BIOS to default. Clean format.

PXE usually points to a HDD issue. But you say your computer boots just fine if LAN is disabled? That seems super odd to me. I'm not sure if it is software or hardware. My two cents until someone that knows what they're talking about shows up.
Thankyou that worked I didn't think getting the official Lan driver would change anything but it fixed the problem. Reset the BIOS settings back to default booted it then went back in and changed some settings on the second reboot and so far so good. :D

Reactions: Alkajak
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.