Battle Recommend a Firewall and Sandbox (Comodo, SpyShelter, Sandboxie etc..)

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
hello forum
need help :)
its no matter of price
so spyshelter + sandboxie or comodo ?
no problem to learn, no problem to pay (have actually lifetime licences for spyshelter and sandboxie) (going back to windows, so i hope theyre functionall, if no, still no matter of price)

dont want to use "all in one suite" - actually looking for best firewall
so.. spyshelter firewall + sandboxie or comodo..or anything else ? (zonealarm etc) - if something else, so why ?.)
thx all and have a nice day
thx for your time and infos

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
another security layer; restrictions for some apps to have full filesystem access, in the end restrictions for all files, that i dont allow :), and to see where are some things trying to get...
its not for testing malware - have dedicated HW for this kind of job .)

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
I would say, if you want a firewall (for monitoring outbound connections) + an automatic sandbox (for unsigned files),
-> go for CFW with cruelsister's settings (proactive mode, hips off, and a few other things), and put the firewall in mode "custom rulesets".

It's simple, light and effective.

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
I would say, if you want a firewall (for monitoring outbound connections) + an automatic sandbox (for unsigned files),
-> go for CFW with cruelsister's settings (proactive mode, hips off, and a few other things), and put the firewall in mode "custom rulesets".

It's simple, light and effective.

that "sandbox only unsigned" is big hole in this security setup.... (nothing against those settings or u - only my opinion)

Reactions: AtlBo

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
another security layer; restrictions for some apps to have full filesystem access, in the end restrictions for all files, that i dont allow :), and to see where are some things trying to get...
its not for testing malware - have dedicated HW for this kind of job .)

If you wanna free sandbox, Cybergenic ShadeSandbox is great.
SHADE Sandbox - Security for Windows PC

Otherwise, Sandboxie is a paid version with of course more customisation.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just get Xvirus Personal Firewall + Shade Sandbox. Both are freeware

Add Emsisoft Antimalware(AM + BB) to them and you'll get

FW + SB + AM + BB

BB is Behavior Blocker

or

If you get Comodo Personal Firewall + Emsisoft AntiMalware you'll get

FW + SB + HIPS + AM + BB = BEST set up!! :D

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
that "sandbox only unsigned" is big hole in this security setup.... (nothing against those settings or u - only my opinion)
The feature referred to is really "sandbox only unrecognized". Any file absent both from Comodo trusted vendors list and from comodo cloud lookup will be sandboxed, unless the user "trusts" it.

Advanced users can also run other apps of their choice, such as web browser, in Comodo sandbox.
CS settings are deliberately kept as simple as possible.
But CS settings are still pretty effective, especially as the new feature in Comodo 10, called embedded code detection, gives you significant anti-exploit protection.

But at the end of the day, SBIE sandbox is much more elegant for running trusted apps.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Hahaha. i have test it and use so many combination and they change almost as often mine underwear.(so really often..) CFW of course is pretty popular thanks to part of it sis cs! But really good choise and as lab says you can tweaked almost i mean really almost 89,021134% bulletproof. <= yes just calculated it. Oh well and i love Sbie (lft) many,many yrs! Almost always included mine setup. I have combined so many firewalls over the years in past and yes i like, like my good friend @Sr. Normal 2.0 too. And of course combined Zone is always good. There are so many opinions and there are many guru said already... Really i can't said my favourite combination, but i do like sbie + Zone and of course CFW with tweaked cs-settings. Of course it could be combine like some default/deny prog, like i have now.

But overall, i love sanbox technigue and how you could combine if you want other softwares, thank u for reading this brainfart! I do not check mine spelling and thoughts, this is wroted so fast mine strong 1 finger teghnigue!

- BC

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
How about Widows Firewall control from binisoft and Sandboxie. I find the spyshelter firewall not as good as Widows Firewall control. WFC is 10$ for lifetime for all your pcs (last time i looked). I realy like SS as an Hips. I only tried the SS firewall a few mins found it annoying for me and moved to WFC ( only my personal opinion )

Reactions: BugCode and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just out of curiosity, what do you get in Spyshelter that you don't get in Comodo? Doesn't Comodo HIPS cover just about every action, thus preventing keylogging and anything else?
I mean, there must be a reason why Spyshelter costs money -- a lot of money -- while Comodo is free.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.