Battle Recommend me second opinion antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaZa9

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
I'm currently using Avast FREE Antivirus, Till now I haven't experienced any problems with it. but I know that antiviruses isn't always providing 100% so I'd like if anyone could recommend me a second opinion antivirus BUT not Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro. I need another (light) antivirus to install besides avast.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As a second opinion, you could use:
- ESET Online Scanner (Download using non-IE browser)
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
- HitmanPro (Free, if you don't activate license)
- VirusTotal Uploader (Context menu to submit to VT)
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Phrozen-VirusTotal-Uploader-3-0
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-VirusTotal-for-Desktop-Browsers-and-Mobile-devices
- You can install Avira Free without the Guard (real-time), but I don't suggest it.

If you haven't experienced any problems, then I can guarantee you'll experience problems once you install another AV, even if it's a "companion AV". etc. Have fun!

Although I recommend being more careful what you download, install or browse. If you use Chrome or IE, both uses light sandboxing techniques, more secure than Firefox. Remember to update your software and OS, as well as uninstalling any software you don't need (ie. Java or Silverlight). Use an AdBlocker on your web browser, to filter out the unwanted. Visit your trusted sites and bookmark them. And the list goes on...

Anyway, why do you need another antivirus?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I agree with Earth's
If you haven't experienced any problems, then I can guarantee you'll experience problems once you install another AV, even if it's a "companion AV". etc.

Avast is good antivirus, if you know basics of using the internet and computer you probably wouldn't have any problems.

Just use the latest version of your favorite browser also. :D

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
If you aren't having issues with avast and it is stable, I am at a loss as to why you'd want, or need another AV on the system. Unless I am mistaken, it almost sound as if you are talking about another resident scanner, which is likely to create problems where there aren't any currently. IMO, the best complement to any primary (resident) AV is Malwarebytes free.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you always only download files from safe sources and utilize UAC prompts then you should not need a second AV.

But on-demand scans with MBAM would be recommended if you carelessly download and run suspicious files.

Thanks. :D

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
Have to agree with Earth on this. If you don't want to use Malwarebytes' or Hitman pro you could use an online scanner or something like virus total for individual files. Don't install even a supplementary antivirus as I believe they can cause issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.