Reddit tests sign-in through Google and Apple accounts

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
These days, many websites require you to create an account and log in to gain access to all features. Sometimes that can be a little sketchy, though, especially with the prolific data breaches that seem to occur every few weeks. That's why many services choose to allow users to authenticate themselves via Google or Apple, since it allows them to leave security to the big dogs. And now it looks like Reddit is soon to join those ranks, as it's been spotted testing logins through both Google and Apple.

The feature doesn't appear to be rolling out widely yet, as most users still see signing up with email and password as the sole option. When the capability does begin to make it to more people, there will be both "Continue with Google" and "Continue with Apple" buttons on the login page. Clicking either one will allow you to keep on Redditing without having to manually input your username and password. Initial work on Google logins first surfaced years ago, but it looks like Reddit's finally making some actual progress here.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
This post is right here i guess its related as sign-in with...

Shopping list and recipe app AnyList has explained in a lengthy blog post no fewer than ten problems with Sign in with Apple.
It says there are five problems for users, and five for developers, and consequently the app will not be supporting the login method …
First, it says there is one common problem with any third-party login, whether it’s Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, or anything else.
People don’t remember which login system they used to create their account. (“Hmm, I created this account a couple of years ago. Did I use my email address? Facebook account? Sign in with Apple?”) Simple questions like, “How do I reset my password?” no longer have simple answers and depend on which system you used to create your account, if you can remember. And if you get locked out of your account and used a third-party login system, we may not be able to help you ourselves and will instead have to direct you to another company, with all of the hassles that entails.

For more information

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Prefer "Sign in with ..." it's easier to manage and safer than having to generate multiple passwords.

Reactions: MonSpyder9
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

This nonsense need to be stopped!

It's time to push FIDO2. No password, no login with/ over, even no username if site support it.
Just press on hardware stick (optionally with enter pin) and done. Usable in all browser and on all systems.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

MonSpyder9

Level 2
May 4, 2020
Prefer "Sign in with ..." it's easier to manage and safer than having to generate multiple passwords.
Same. Not all websites have 2FA for security, so I'd need a password manager to maintain proper security. At least with Google login I can secure everything behind one strong password and 2FA. I know that this isn't the best in terms of privacy, but I try to keep my digital footprint small and create less accounts in general.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.