Battle Redmi 5 or Redmi S2?

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Pls help me decide. I am on a very tight budget. Need to decide between Redmi 5 and Redmi S2. Battery, Performance, Camera, Durability.

Hardware to Compare
I want to compare:

Battery,
Durability,
Camera,
Performance
Reason to Compare
I want to ask which is more value for money. I am on a tight budget.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Hi, in my opinion the S2 is better overall: better processor, better camera (dual, w bokeh..). Probably you will get more active screen time with the redmi 5 bacause of its smaller screen and bigger battery. It depends of your priorities.
I recommend you, if it fits your budget, to go to the redmi 5 plus, because it has the same screen, processor than the S2, and also bigger battery.

Reactions: harlan4096

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hi, in my opinion the S2 is better overall: better processor, better camera (dual, w bokeh..). Probably you will get more active screen time with the redmi 5 bacause of its smaller screen and bigger battery. It depends of your priorities.
I recommend you, if it fits your budget, to go to the redmi 5 plus, because it has the same screen, processor than the S2, and also bigger battery.

Hello. Thanks.

I would like also S2 for its great camera and CPU. My only problem is the screen display, it has no Gorilla Glass protection, unlike Redmi 5. Does that make the screen so breakable? I watched a YouTube video drop test on S2, and it did not break! But the housing had scratches! What can you say? Is that video reliable? Is a tempered glass enough?

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Hello. Thanks.

I would like also S2 for its great camera and CPU. My only problem is the screen display, it has no Gorilla Glass protection, unlike Redmi 5. Does that make the screen so breakable? I watched a YouTube video drop test on S2, and it did not break! But the housing had scratches! What can you say? Is that video reliable? Is a tempered glass enough?

Xiaomi includes in the box a silicone case that is quite fine, and adding a tempered glass I think it will be fairly enough.

Reactions: harlan4096

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Xiaomi includes in the box a silicone case that is quite fine, and adding a tempered glass I think it will be fairly enough.

They said that their Redmi 5A uses a type of strengthened glass (generic). Could they be using the same for S2? I "feel" not confident that my smartphone don't have Gorilla Glass on it.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
They said that their Redmi 5A uses a type of strengthened glass (generic). Could they be using the same for S2? I "feel" not confident that my smartphone don't have Gorilla Glass on it.
ye, but I suppose to reduce costs they have chosen not to include screen protection.
What do you think about redmi 5 plus? in the xiaomi's wholesalers in aliexpress I have see that it has the same prize as the S2, and, in my opinion is better: 625, 4000mah, Gorilla Glass, metal body.. and good camera ( only one sensor, but in MIUI 10 it will have native bokeh option). I recommend it more than the S2 if it fits into your budget.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
ye, but I suppose to reduce costs they have chosen not to include screen protection.
What do you think about redmi 5 plus? in the xiaomi's wholesalers in aliexpress I have see that it has the same prize as the S2, and, in my opinion is better: 625, 4000mah, Gorilla Glass, metal body.. and good camera ( only one sensor, but in MIUI 10 it will have native bokeh option). I recommend it more than the S2 if it fits into your budget.
Yes, I would really like to have your option for Redmi 5+. But the problem is, it costs Php 9990 in my place (4GB-64GB), and S2 only costs Php 7490 (3GB-32GB). There is no 3GB-32GB variant which I more prefer for the Redmi 5+. Do you think that Redmi 5's cameras will be good enough in MIUI 10 for the native bokeh and portrait? For me too Snapdragon 450 is enough for I do not play games, but just do reading and watching on phone. But I wnat above average photos though. you think Redmi 5's Cameras are far better than 4x'? I think I just have to settle to Redmi 5 if the camera quality will be improved in MIUI 10.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Yes, I would really like to have your option for Redmi 5+. But the problem is, it costs Php 9990 in my place (4GB-64GB), and S2 only costs Php 7490 (3GB-32GB). There is no 3GB-32GB variant which I more prefer for the Redmi 5+. Do you think that Redmi 5's cameras will be good enough in MIUI 10 for the native bokeh and portrait? For me too Snapdragon 450 is enough for I do not play games, but just do reading and watching on phone. But I wnat above average photos though. you think Redmi 5's Cameras are far better than 4x'? I think I just have to settle to Redmi 5 if the camera quality will be improved in MIUI 10.

I have tried a redmi 5 and I have to say it has a very good camera for the prize, I'm sure MIUI 10's bokeh mode will be nice, and in comparison with the 4x, xiaomi's cameras have improved a lot.
In xiaomi's wholesalers in aliexpress there is avalible the redmi 5 plus 3+32 global version, If you want to have a look at it I can share with you the phone from the vendor I bought a Mix 2 for my mum. It's now 158 dollars (black colour).

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I have tried a redmi 5 and I have to say it has a very good camera for the prize, I'm sure MIUI 10's bokeh mode will be nice, and in comparison with the 4x, xiaomi's cameras have improved a lot.
In xiaomi's wholesalers in aliexpress there is avalible the redmi 5 plus 3+32 global version, If you want to have a look at it I can share with you the phone from the vendor I bought a Mix 2 for my mum. It's now 158 dollars (black colour).
Thanks so much for the concern! But I am afraid I can't buy it from there for I don't have Credit Card. I could only pay thru Cash on Delivery here in the Philippines.

The only thing that only hinders me from buying S2 is that it doesnt have Gorilla Glass. But S2's dual SIM and dedicated MicroSD is a big plus for me.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks so much for the concern! But I am afraid I can't buy it from there for I don't have Credit Card. I could only pay thru Cash on Delivery here in the Philippines.

The only thing that only hinders me from buying S2 is that it doesnt have Gorilla Glass. But S2's dual SIM and dedicated MicroSD is a big plus for me.

no problem! In my opinion, like I said, with the silicone case it comes with the phone and a tempered glass I think the mobile phone is protected enough. It depends on your priorities, in my opinion, I would go to the S2 instead of the redmi 5, but both are fantastic choices.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
no problem! In my opinion, like I said, with the silicone case it comes with the phone and a tempered glass I think the mobile phone is protected enough. It depends on your priorities, in my opinion, I would go to the S2 instead of the redmi 5, but both are fantastic choices.
Yeah, thanks much! Silicone Case, Ring Stand, and Tempered Glass are enough.. One YouTube reviewer said that S2 has some unknown protective coating that is cheaper than Gorilla Glass.

Here is a drop test for S2... the screen did not break! You think the video is not fake?

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Yeah, thanks much! Silicone Case, Ring Stand, and Tempered Glass are enough.. One YouTube reviewer said that S2 has some unknown protective coating that is cheaper than Gorilla Glass.

Here is a drop test for S2... the screen did not break! You think the video is not fake?

Seems to be real for me. Nice results there on the video without any additional protection. I'm pretty sure that if you get it, with the case and the glass, you will not have any problem. :)

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Seems to be real for me. Nice results there on the video without any additional protection. I'm pretty sure that if you get it, with the case and the glass, you will not have any problem. :)
How many Xiaomi phones have you personally used? What can you say about hardware quality? Have you ever experienced ghost touch/ hard touch issues after months of usage?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.