Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The most exciting news since man landed on the moon.

Showcasing new computing possibilities at IFA - Windows Experience Blog
As part of this commitment, I’m pleased to announce that our next feature update to Windows will be called the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. With this update, we’ll be bringing new features and enhancements to the nearly 700 million devices running Windows 10 that help people make the most of their time. We’ll share more details about the update over the coming weeks.

L

Local Host

Is just another update on my book, yet to see any major changes from this updates (at least ones that affect my daily usage of Windows).
I actually get the opposite of excited as more bloat gets added, like Activity History.
Also that dark explorer is plain awful, saw some fan concept that looked way better.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I am looking forward to another reinstall and re-checking all my tweaks. Something I had to do like every 5 years before. Thanks MS. :cautious:
I wonder, what gets broken this time. 1803 totally borked Windows Updates for me, not to mention an unclickable taskbar with the right click.

People should brace themselves... waiting for the next major W10 update to bork a bunch of things.

Microsoft attributes their "improved" update process to all that telemetry and data they siphon off of systems. :alien: And people argue that Google is the data boogeyman... :X3:

L

Local Host

People should brace themselves... waiting for the next major W10 update to bork a bunch of things.

Microsoft attributes their "improved" update process to all that telemetry and data they siphon off of systems. :alien: And people argue that Google is the data boogeyman... :X3:
All the companies gather telemetry data, even mealiness Software, in order to troubleshoot probably and focus on the most used features. Not to mention the data Google gathers goes beyond telemetry data.
Microsoft and many others don't need your data for anything (outside what was stated above, troubleshoot) as they make money from the sales of their Software and Hardware, while Google hasn't sold anything the majorly of their life and still made billions (I wonder how).
Those complaining about Microsoft that are paranoid, while the complains about Google are valid as it can get, unless they figured out a way to make money from thin air.
I never liked nor trusted Google exactly for that reason, the same way I don't like Facebook, you can't pay hundreds of employees and make billions in cash while not selling anything (for Google and FB, it's your data).

Reactions: JB007 and tonibalas

All the companies gather telemetry data, even mealiness Software, in order to troubleshoot probably and focus on the most used features. Not to mention the data Google gathers goes beyond telemetry data.
Microsoft and many others don't need your data for anything (outside what was stated above, troubleshoot) as they make money from the sales of their Software and Hardware, while Google hasn't sold anything the majorly of their life and still made billions (I wonder how).
Those complaining about Microsoft that are paranoid, while the complains about Google are valid as it can get, unless they figured out a way to make money from thin air.
I never liked nor trusted Google exactly for that reason, the same way I don't like Facebook, you can't pay hundreds of employees and make billions in cash while not selling anything (for Google and FB, it's your data).

Microsoft does everything that Google does, but they just do it differently. You are forgetting about Internet Explorer\Edge, Bing, MSN.com and everything else.

Google is not the only data boogeyman... Microsoft is right up there with them.

L

Local Host

Microsoft does everything that Google does, but they just do it differently. You are forgetting Internet Explorer\Edge and Bing.

Google is not the only data boogeyman... Microsoft is right up there with them.
I'm not forgetting anything, and no Microsoft doesn't do nor need to do the same as Google, as I said they make tons of money from the Enterprise alone and always did for years.
While Google as I said before, never sold anything the majorly of their life and still made billions.
Is not Microsoft that gets pinned against the wall every month due to privacy concerns, the most recent being Google gathering location data without user consent and lying to their face.

Reactions: JB007

I am looking forward to another reinstall and re-checking all my tweaks. Something I had to do like every 5 years before. Thanks MS. :cautious:
I wonder, what gets broken this time. 1803 totally borked Windows Updates for me, not to mention an unclickable taskbar with the right click.

I feel sorry for you heavy Windows tweakers.

I have noticed weirdness with the most recent minor 1803 cumulative updates.

Reactions: Al-Faqir and JB007

I'm not forgetting anything, and no Microsoft doesn't do nor need to do the same as Google, as I said they make tons of money from the Enterprise alone and always did for years.
While Google as I said before, never sold anything the majorly of their life and still made billions.
Is not Microsoft that gets pinned against the wall every month due to privacy concerns, the most recent being Google gathering location data without user consent and lying to their face.

Microsoft has been sued far more often than Google.

Microsoft does do the exact same thing as Google, so defending Microsoft is going to get you nowhere.

L

Local Host

Microsoft has been sued far more often than Google.

Microsoft does do the exact same thing as Google.
Microsoft been sued due to users complains, and never by identities that protect user privacy (unlike Google that pays fines every year).
This year not escaping of course, there's already talk of the mastercard deal with Google, you can see another fine is coming Google way (as always).

Microsoft been sued due to users complains, and never by identities that protect user privacy (unlike Google that pays fines every year).
This year not escaping of course, there's already talk of the mastercard deal with Google, you can see another fine is coming Google way (as always).

Like I said, Microsoft does everything that Google does, they just do it differently. Microsoft is every bit the data boogeyman that Google is. And you better do some research on what Microsoft has been sued for in the past. It does involve privacy matters along the same lines as what Google has been censured for.

And you're right... Microsoft has been sued mostly for being a monopolistic oger within the industry... with its abusive practices with OEMs and users. Microsoft is mad pissed-off that Google has the upper hand in the data game and would like nothing more than to get all of Google's data harvesting capabilities. Microsoft is doing everything it can to be every bit the same data harvester that Google is. And for practical purposes, Microsoft is a data collector right up there with Google. Microsoft does stuff with data that the vast majority of people would not like... but they get away with it because they do it in ways that draws less attention while everyone is overly-focused upon Google.

So please stop defending Microsoft and saying Google is worse than Microsoft when it comes to data harvesting, because it just ain't true.

Microsoft is no one's friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Local Host

Like I said, Microsoft does everything that Google does, they just do it differently. Microsoft is every bit the data boogeyman that Google is. And you better do some research on what Microsoft has been sued for in the past. It does involve privacy matters along the same lines as what Google has been censured for.

And you're right... Microsoft has been sued mostly for being a monopolistic oger within the industry... with its abusive practices with OEMs and users. Microsoft is mad pissed-off that Google has the upper hand in the data game and would like nothing more than to get all of Google's data harvesting capabilities. Microsoft is doing everything it can to be every bit the same data harvester that Google is. And for practical purposes, Microsoft is a data collector right up there with Google. Microsoft does stuff with data that the vast majority of people would not like... but they get away with it because they do it in ways that draws less attention while everyone is overly-focused upon Google.

So please stop defending Microsoft and saying Google is worse than Microsoft when it comes to data harvesting, because it just ain't true.

Microsoft is no one's friend.
I'll never agree with that, as I know better than being paranoid.
Not to mention there's no evidence whasoever outside users complains who have little to no knowledge, while against Google there's complaints directly from privacy identities (is the reason why Google pays fines and Microsoft is hardly heard off).
There's also all the other factors I already mentioned, Microsoft has no use whasoever to resort to Google tactics, as they have a solid income from the enterprise (and always have).

Last edited:

I'll never agree with that, as I know better than being paranoid.
Not to mention there's no evidence whasoever outside users complains who have little to no knowledge, while against Google there's complaints directly from privacy identities (is the reason why Google pays fines and Microsoft is hardly heard off).
There's also all the other factors I already mentioned, Microsoft has no use whasoever to resort to Google tactics, as they have a solid income from the enterprise (and always have).
Right now Google is the last company I would trust with anything, goes from invading users privacy, leaking exploits from third-parties, harassing anyone who gets in their way, hiding behind a security mantra but they waste more time whining about others than solving the issues in their own lawn (like the buggy Android, which is full of exploits to take advantage off).

You know, I'm not particularly pro-Google or pro-Chrome, but you don't know what you're talking about. I will admit that I promote Chromebook to those who don't have the inclination to mess with atrocious Windows.

There is ample evidence. Read some of the court cases. And read privacy organizations' positions against Microsoft - for a single example, the EFF's. EFF has condemned Microsoft and its data harvesting practices many, many times.

Microsoft has every incentive to harvest data - and that is money. It is why it is trying so hard with Edge to beat-out Chrome.

Data harvesting is data harvesting if there is eventual profit derived from that data. It doesn't matter if the harvester sells your data or uses it to develop new products. In the latter you are providing infos - more than likely unknowingly - that will make the harvester money in one way or another. Profits derived from data collection is money derived from data collection. The exact route doesn't matter. What matters is that the profit is derived from data in one shape, form or another at the expense of users. That is the whole basis of free version software, for example.

And for most people, they are much better off on Chromebook than they ever will be on Windows - and that is in terms of telemetry (ability to control and limit it), data collection and security.

And I do know what I'm talking about.

Data collection is done by all the major firms and they're all making tons of money off of that data. Microsoft is not some friend of users who doesn't exploit their data. Microsoft exploits user data just like everyone else. It is right there with Google. They just do things differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Local Host

You know, I'm not particularly pro-Google or pro-Chrome, but you don't know what you're talking about. I will admit that I promote Chromebook to those who don't have the inclination to mess with atrocious Windows.

There is ample evidence. Read some of the court cases. And read privacy organizations' positions against Microsoft - for a single example, the EFF's. EFF has condemned Microsoft and its data harvesting practices many, many times.

Microsoft has every incentive to harvest data - and that is money. It is why it is trying so hard with Edge to beat-out Chrome.

Data harvesting is data harvesting if there is eventual profit derived from that data. It doesn't matter if the harvester sells your data or uses it to develop new products. In the latter you are providing infos - more than likely unknowingly - that will make the harvester money in one way or another. Profits derived from data collection is money derived from data collection. The exact route doesn't matter. What matters is that the profit is derived from data in one shape, form or another at the expense of users. That is the whole basis of free version software, for example.

And for most people, they are much better off on Chromebook than they ever will be on Windows - and that is in terms of telemetry (ability to control and limit it), data collection and security.

And I do know what I'm talking about.
I also know what I talking about.
There's a huge difference between personal data and telemetry (troubleshoot) data.
Google gathers your personal data and makes targeted ads, while Microsoft gathers telemetry data to troubleshoot and improve Windows and the rest of their products (which pretty much every company does for the same purpose).
They're entirely different, and I couldn't care less if Microsoft knows I do x clicks to get to y option, I'm more concerned about Google knowing my location and having deals with my credit card supplier for targeted ads without my consent.
As I said before, I'm not going to be paranoid over Microsoft.

I also know what I talking about.
There's a huge difference between personal data and telemetry (troubleshoot) data.
Google gathers your personal data and makes targeted ads, while Microsoft gathers telemetry data to troubleshoot and improve Windows and the rest of their products (which pretty much every company does for the same purpose).
They're entirely different, and I couldn't care less if Microsoft knows I do x clicks to get to y option, I'm more concerned about Google knowing my location and having deals with my credit card supplier for targeted ads without my consent.
As I said before, I'm not going to be paranoid over Microsoft.

Being paranoid over any data collection is pointless. There are people out there that think they are configuring their systems and devices in such a way that their overall data footprint is greatly reduced, and that thinking is just a plain joke. In the U.S., unless you were born out back in the weeds and your parents kept you socked away, you have an extensive digital data record. Go to the doctor ? That leaves an extensive digital record. Buy something with a credit card ? That leaves an extensive digital record that all the credit card vendors, banks and other financial institutions exploit. And there is nothing you can do on your PCs or other digital devices to change or reduce it. Google is not the great data conspirator...

Nope. They aren't different one bit. Data harvesting and profit derived from it always has one common denominator... and that is your data is exploited, and that invariably involves what most people consider invasion of privacy. It's been proven time-and-again. Decade after decade.

Microsoft is one of the biggest data harvesters - and a lot of it is not telemetry associated with Windows.

Microsoft notoriously tracks user locations.

Microsoft has tageted advertising right in Outlook, Explorer and the Start Menu in Windows 10... and that is all based upon personal data harvesting. And they do sell or share your personal data with their partners. If anyone bothers to read the agreements Microsoft states that they will do it as they see fit. And that means if they want to share and use your data in ways you find objectionable, they are going to do it whether you like it or not. And they do just that every single day. That is why organizations have repeatedly taken positions against Microsoft over the decades.

When you use Internet Explorer and Edge, Microsoft is collecting every bit the same amount of data as Google does when you are using Chrome. And Microsoft utilizes it in the same manner as does Google. And they do this all without you consciously consenting by default.

They collect data via their browsers, via their online services, via Microsoft Office, etc, etc. Then they make targeted ads. They use various advertising platforms... some of them the same as Google uses. Adify for example.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Microsoft always has it bashers, but for me W10 has worked flawlessly on a 6 year old desktop, no issues with updates either, I just tweak it and turn off all the telemetry settings. People have issues with W10 and they blame Microsoft, well just maybe its their computer with a million craptastic programs installed? With all the possible configurations possible (billions) regarding software combinations I would say that if W10 runs ok on 98 % of computers than they are doing a fantastic job.

As far as data gathering goes, if you want privacy then don't go on the internet, its just that simple.

Microsoft always has it bashers, but for me W10 has worked flawlessly on a 6 year old desktop, no issues with updates either, I just tweak it and turn off all the telemetry settings. People have issues with W10 and they blame Microsoft, well just maybe its their computer with a million craptastic programs installed? With all the possible configurations possible (billions) regarding software combinations I would say that if W10 runs ok on 98 % of computers than they are doing a fantastic job.

As far as data gathering goes, if you want privacy then don't go on the internet, its just that simple.

No one is bashing Microsoft here.

The issue is not the reliability of Windows 10, but instead the fact that Microsoft is in the same data collecting business as Google. Microsoft is in the business of collecting, sorting and profiting from user data - and a large part of that data isn't even associated with the Windows operating system, but instead comes from other sources. Just look into Microsoft's subsidiaries and products, their business agreements and arrangements, and what they do with data. In this regard Microsoft is no different than Google.

And the other issue is people saying that Microsoft is not anywhere near as bad a Google, when in fact, Microsoft is right there with Google.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I am not saying Microsoft is better than Google or vice versa, when a company gets as big as these two any reasonable person should be able to extrapolate that one of the ways they got so big, and for the most part act as a monopoly, is that they are collecting and monetizing users data. And my point still stands, don't expect any privacy on the internet. I know Microsoft, Google and a million other companies collect users data, and I don't care seeing as that I have nothing to hide, I could try to mitigate this but the time, effort and mostly ineffectiveness of this would probably cause me to stroke out at an early age, I got better things to occupy my time, like taking my dog for a walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.