Redstone 5 will be called 'Windows 10 October 2018 Update'

Status
Not open for further replies.

When comparing companies like Microsoft we need to go by % and not numbers, as the userbase of Microsoft is way larger than the competition.

Losing 1 % is losing 1 % or losing 170 milliion is losing 170 million. Loss is loss. Don't try to game the statistics to support your position. I, on the other hand, just saw the number and used it without intent to game.

most of the issues people have with Windows Updates are related to third-party software and hardware.

Microsoft has admitted otherwise. So you are stating something that is counter to what Microsoft itself has stated.

My Settings only got reset once on the first major upgrade, and I never had apps installed without my consent. So W10 is pretty much part of the family now, I haven't seen a W7 machine in years, even at work all the companies I been to, have fully migrated to W10.

Isn't that wonderful for you. But you don't represent user-land. And the reports from user-land for decades are contrary to your experiences. What you are doing here is attempting to discount the many millions of negative experiences reported by others by simply limiting everything to the scope of your own experience.

The fact that people have so many problems with Windows is substantiated by the proliferation of support forums like this one and the literally thousands of posts describing all manner of issues - many of which are reliability issues inherent to Windows. Not to mention the ongoing extensive reports that appear immediately after every single Windows Update. So according to you, all those reports must be fabrications because you haven't experienced any of them, except for a single time.

Plus, if a person talks to IT Pros, a significant portion of them would like nothing more than to get out from under Microsoft and Windows. It's not some dreamed-up fallacy. All it takes is merely talking to people. They will make their positions clear if you are willing to listen.

Ignore Lockdown, is a waste of time.

There are literally thousands upon thousands saying the very same things about Microsoft and Windows... here and other places. It's all generally accepted. What surprises me is that same things stated on a site such as Sysnative creates no waves, but on the security forums - where fanboism is rampant - it creates a ruckus. A ruckus that really shouldn't exist because we are talking about generally accepted facts. So what's the difference between a site such as Sysnative and one such as MT ? My observation is that on the security forums there are more people that cannot effectively cope with anything posted that they don't like regarding their software love affairs.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Isn't that wonderful for you. But you don't represent user-land. And the reports from user-land for decades are contrary to your experiences. What you are doing here is attempting to discount the many millions of negative experiences reported by others by simply limiting everything to the scope of your own experience.

More Lockdown perseveration...

You cannot help but grind your Microsoft ax... no matter what the topic.... incessantly. Pathetic.

And nobody really cares.... except you.

Local Host is correct. You are distorted.

And much of the world admires Microsoft. Google lists of most admired and reputable companies, lists of most desired employers...

Ignore Lockdown, is a waste of time.

True dat.

D

Deleted member 178

Yep. It's always easy to take shots at the market leader. But there is a reason Microsoft is in the position that it is in. Plenty of reasons actually.
yes because they came first, they "cheated" to win the IBM's call offer (the OS wasn't ready but they sold it to IBM and fixed the issues later...remind you of something? )
This move is the foundation on how MS handle new releases. feed the mass, fix the issues later...

Then once a product is pushed worldwide for years, asking people (and especially companies who depends on it) to change is difficult.
If Linux went out at same time or before Windows , we would all use it, and Windows won't even exist.

More Lockdown perseveration...

You cannot help but grind your Microsoft ax... no matter what the topic.... incessantly. Pathetic.

And nobody really cares.... except you.

Local Host is correct. You are distorted.

And much of the world admires Microsoft. Google lists of most admired and reputable companies, lists of most desired employers...

If nobody cares about what I am posting, then why do you and @Local Host keep replying ?

People only come back and make personal attacks, taunt, name call - like you and @Local Host have done repeatedly - to lash out. Lashing out is a sign that the person is upset, hurt, frustrated, etc.

Both of you guys keep supplying the evidence to prove my assertions.

D

Deleted member 178

I never had any major issues with Win10, why? Because i use and maintain it with high knowledge and precision.

Why planes rarely crashes? Because they are piloted and maintained by highly skilled professionals.
Now let Average Joe replace those professionals... I bet 99% of them will crash.

Problem is Windows was aimed to Average Joes, so it is supposed to works fine for them whatever stupid things they do, but sadly it doesn't. If it was we wont see so much support forums, maintenance tools or repair guys.

Windows is so much an hassle that when you google to research an issue, you have to dig into dozens of various causes...

To say Windows is a properly tuned OS, you must be ignorant or blind.

I even found the same issue after a clean install of SCU on 3 different machines with totally different specs!!! That shouldnt even happen in the first place...

More and more, MS add bloat, badly implemented security features, etc...

No one with an objective mind would call Windows a model of stability and coding.

Unfortunately, we all need it especially if we work with computers. Doesn't mean we all have to like it.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I really hate those Microsoft Apps, Xbox, Weather, Tips.. and whenever some of them are uninstalled with 3th party tool, some other thing brakes down and goes unfunctional in Win 10 and creates chain-reaction for other things not working. I just now disable any sync and leave rest, its stupid af, the more you tinker with, the more stuff gets broken after Windows Updates.

Reactions: oldschool

Honestly some are worth the use. Mail, Calendar, Maps and Weather are those i use the most,

If a person uses a Microsoft Account and integrates everything... Windows, Microsoft Office, Outlook client, OneDrive, Phone with Calendar & Contacts, etc... it does work. I think it works better than Google's alternative.

I like Windows Phone a whole lot better than Android. Windows Phone is much better than Android. Too bad Windows Phone is dead.

I have all Windows 10 systems - except for a single Chromebook. I have Windows 10 phone. Given that the total of all my running PC & devices, VMs, and alternate drives exceeds 25, it makes me laugh that there are those that call me Microsoft & Windows hater and basher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Being a home user, I'm waiting sets and - finally - dark explorer.

Are both in or I've to wait RS6?
And yes, I fear will break things.
So I'll wait it comes in untargeted branch (December, I guess)

D

Deleted member 178

If a person uses a Microsoft Account and integrates everything... Windows, Microsoft Office, Outlook client, OneDrive, Phone with Calendar & Contacts, etc... it does work. I think it works better than Google's alternative.
It is what i do, it works well enough.

I like Windows Phone a whole lot better than Android. Windows Phone is much better than Android. Too bad Windows Phone is dead.
yes too bad.

I have all Windows 10 systems - except for a single Chromebook. I have Windows 10 phone. Given that the total of all my running PC & devices, VMs, and alternate drives exceeds 25, it makes me laugh that there are those that call me Microsoft & Windows hater and basher.
Most of them are new members, they don't know us and our history here, they logically have assumptions based on our latest posts.
Nothing to mind about.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
More and more, MS add bloat, badly implemented security features, etc...

No one with an objective mind would call Windows a model of stability and coding.

Unfortunately, we all need it especially if we work with computers. Doesn't mean we all have to like it.

MS needs to drop legacy support from their OS since Windows 95 era same with current gen x86 CPUs from both Intel and AMD. Its those obsolete features cripples performance, efficiency and security.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Sticking with RS4 until EOL. RS4 insider versions were so good but public ones were pretty bad. So, no use in upgrading and wasting valuable time for addition of 2-3 minor features.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I really hate those Microsoft Apps, Xbox, Weather, Tips.. and whenever some of them are uninstalled with 3th party tool, some other thing brakes down and goes unfunctional in Win 10 and creates chain-reaction for other things not working. I just now disable any sync and leave rest, its stupid af, the more you tinker with, the more stuff gets broken after Windows Updates.
I followed this guide Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update
to remove all the apps (including Edge and Microsoft Store) and I haven't experienced any problem so far because of Windows Updates.
Even the upgrade from RS3 to RS4 went smoothly and Windows didn't re-install any previously removed app.

In the guide it's written you can also remove Windows Defender Security Center, but I didn't dare to do so... and I was right, since later on they added this sentence: "Unfortunately, since June 2018, Windows Defender Security Center can no longer be removed without breaking the system" :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: harlan4096
L

Local Host

I followed this guide Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update
to remove all the apps (including Edge and Microsoft Store) and I haven't experienced any problem so far because of Windows Updates.
Even the upgrade from RS3 to RS4 went smoothly and Windows didn't re-install any previously removed app.

In the guide it's written you can also remove Windows Defender Security Center, but I didn't dare to do so... and I was right, since later on they added this sentence: "Unfortunately, since June 2018, Windows Defender Security Center can no longer be removed without breaking the system" :eek::eek::eek:
You can do all that through PowerShell, I wouldn't trust an unknown *.exe

L

Local Host

Not really unknown ;)
VirusTotal
VirusTotal has no saying in 0 days and unknown files, it relies on ancient signature practices. Not to mention a file doesn't need to be detected as malware to be malicious, you don't know what that file changes in the background.

So I would rather do it manually through Powershell, than to rely on an unknown file. People are fast to trust third-parties and may or may not end up burned (like it happened with CCleaner).

Fact is, the changes you making do not need any extra files, Windows has all the tools you need built-in, so I would never trust anyone who tries to supply me a *.exe (I don't need in first place) to make those changes.

You're free to do whatever you want in your machine, this is just my opinion.

Reactions: imuade

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
VirusTotal has no saying in 0 days and unknown files, it relies on ancient signature practices. Not to mention a file doesn't need to be detected as malware to be malicious, you don't know what that file changes in the background.

So I would rather do it manually through Powershell, than to rely on an unknown file. People are fast to trust third-parties and may or may not end up burned (like it happened with CCleaner).

Fact is, the changes you making do not need any extra files, Windows has all the tools you need built-in, so I would never trust anyone who tries to supply me a *.exe (I don't need in first place) to make those changes.

You're free to do whatever you want in your machine, this is just my opinion.
Yeah, I agree with you and I respect your choice :)
But then, we won't have nice tools like syshardener or configuredefender :)

Reactions: Local Host

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Not at all excited. Probably more bloatware/issues when people do not uninstall/turn off an AV for updating.

~LDogg

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
You can add Pool "Scared"... wonder what now windows break or add something new more toxic than even before.

Reactions: LDogg
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.