Advice Request Refresh (F5) vs Hard Refresh (Ctrl + F5)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I wanted to know if Hard Refresh still exist in the browsers today.
F5 is enough or F5+Ctrl is better/recommended in the Microsoft Edge chromium?

Reactions: brambedkar59

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Thanks, so Ctrl+F5 is not necessary to use and F5 is enough right?

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Thanks, so Ctrl+F5 is not necessary to use and F5 is enough right?
For most situations, you're correct and should the only one you need.

However, I do find the occasional website where either:
  • the browser cache conflicts with the site;
  • the site is either badly programmed or suffers server issues at their hosting provider;
  • or DNS cache returns older information.
You usually find these situations within live (read: real-time online) in-browser tab services. Think of remote browser services for conference calls or discord screenshare with a webcam (not limited to), for example. In such cases where Ctrl+F5 works better, by forcing the cache to be emptied.

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
For most situations, you're correct and should the only one you need.

However, I do find the occasional website where either:
  • the browser cache conflicts with the site;
  • the site is either badly programmed or suffers server issues at their hosting provider;
  • or DNS cache returns older information.
You usually find these situations within live (read: real-time online) in-browser tab services. Think of remote browser services for conference calls or discord screenshare with a webcam (not limited to), for example. In such cases where Ctrl+F5 works better, by forcing the cache to be emptied.
@rain2reign
I use CCleaner Pro, deleting the Edge cache each time, and also clear the DNS cache every six months with CCleaner, in the option in it as well. Is that ok?
I mean now in this situation I do not need to use Hard Refresh, right?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I wanted to know if Hard Refresh still exist in the browsers today.
F5 is enough or F5+Ctrl is better/recommended in the Microsoft Edge chromium?
Yes, hard refresh is still available in modern browsers, including Microsoft Edge Chromium. The standard way to perform a hard refresh in Edge Chromium is to press Ctrl + F5. This will clear the browser's cache and force the page to reload and fetch all resources from the server.

Pressing F5 alone will perform a regular refresh, which may still use cached resources to speed up the process.

In general, it's a good practice to use hard refresh (Ctrl + F5) when troubleshooting issues with web pages or when trying to make sure you're seeing the latest version of a page, especially after updates have been made.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Yes, hard refresh is still available in modern browsers, including Microsoft Edge Chromium. The standard way to perform a hard refresh in Edge Chromium is to press Ctrl + F5. This will clear the browser's cache and force the page to reload and fetch all resources from the server.

Pressing F5 alone will perform a regular refresh, which may still use cached resources to speed up the process.

In general, it's a good practice to use hard refresh (Ctrl + F5) when troubleshooting issues with web pages or when trying to make sure you're seeing the latest version of a page, especially after updates have been made.
What about CTRL+R ?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
What about CTRL+R ?
Ctrl+R is another keyboard shortcut for refreshing a web page in Microsoft Edge Chromium, but it performs a regular refresh, which may still use cached resources to speed up the process. It does not clear the cache and reload all resources from the server like a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) would.

So, if you want to ensure that all resources are reloaded from the server and not cached, it's better to use Ctrl+F5 instead of just Ctrl+R.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Ctrl+R is another keyboard shortcut for refreshing a web page in Microsoft Edge Chromium, but it performs a regular refresh, which may still use cached resources to speed up the process. It does not clear the cache and reload all resources from the server like a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) would.

So, if you want to ensure that all resources are reloaded from the server and not cached, it's better to use Ctrl+F5 instead of just Ctrl+R.
Ok, I always use CCleaner and let it clear the cache as well. Any idea?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Ok, I always use CCleaner and let it clear the cache as well. Any idea?
If you use CCleaner regularly to clear your browser's cache, then you won't need to do a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) every time you reload a page because the browser's cache will already be cleared. CCleaner is a great tool for managing your browser's cache and other temporary files, and using it periodically can help keep your browser running smoothly and reduce the chances of encountering issues related to stale cache data.

However, if you are still experiencing problems with a particular website, it's still a good idea to try a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) to ensure that all resources are reloaded from the server and not cached, especially if the website has recently been updated.

Reactions: Berny and amirr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.