Battle Reliability of touchscreens on Windows laptops?

G

Genux

Thread author
I hope I am posting this in the correct place.

For general use, how reliable are touchscreen laptops running Windows 10? Do they break easily? Will they work after an OS update? Do they need special drivers? Et cetera.

Reactions: Weebarra

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
In terms of reliability, I am not aware of touch screens failing at a significant rate higher than traditional screens.

Failing after an update is a possibility for any hardware. Touchscreens are no different. But I see no reason for them to be more susceptible.

Of course they use special drivers. But the notebook maker is responsible for providing them.

Having said all that, I do not advise getting a touchscreen notebook. Here's a pretty good article from Laptopmag.com to explain why: Why You Shouldn't Buy a Touch-Screen Laptop.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I currently own a Lenovo Yoga 720 and I find it to be so useful in my course of study. I have owned it for roughly 3 months now and so far the touch screen is great, been through a few windows updates and so far nothing is broken yet. I have noticed that there will be a higher battery drain if you keep using it excessively (like when I'm in class taking notes, I write on my screen continuously for a total of maybe 6 hours?), but if you use it occasionally you shouldn't find any issues with battery life.

I would definitely recommend you choose a laptop with a dedicated stylus which is usually a palm rejection stylus so that writing on a touch screen is much easily, eg like a surface pro/laptop, lenovo yoga series, acer spin series, etc.

One thing I don't like about my laptop is that even when it can fold into a tablet mode, it's still a little too heavy for my liking to be holding it in my arm or in general for viewing and writing, it has to be placed on a table or on my lap so that I can comfortably write on it. If this is something you see yourself needing, then I would suggest getting a lighter tablet.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have an old HP Touchsmart laptop. The touchscreen stopped working after I upgraded to Windows 10. Meh whatever. I think newer laptops are far more reliable. That being said, it's a nice gimmick. Never missed it. A great touchpad is so much more important and Windows laptops STILL can't get it right compared to Macbook.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I hope I am posting this in the correct place.

For general use, how reliable are touchscreen laptops running Windows 10? Do they break easily? Will they work after an OS update? Do they need special drivers? Et cetera.
Depends on manufacturer since they are free to use any company's digitizer and panel to make a ultrabook w/ touchscreen.
Anyway the situation should be much better these days. Which touch based laptop are eyeing? Surface LTE or Yoga series?
If you want to make a non touch based screen a touch screen look at Air bar. AirBar – Get touchscreen on your notebook!
2 in 1 are little better than standard laptop with touchscreen since touchscreen needs more power than standard screen.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.