Removal of Malware - v9tr

laokay1993

Thread author
Apr 30, 2013
See issues, I suppose, but
tldr:
Have some form of malware in the form of a v9tr.com script changing my homepage upon everystartup

Attachments

• OTL.Txt
    134.1 KB · Views: 106

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hi and welcome to the malwaretips.com forums!

I'm Jack and I am going to try to assist you with your problem. Please take note of the below:
  • I will start working on your malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!
  • The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Refrain from running self fixes as this will hinder the malware removal process.
  • It may prove beneficial if you print of the following instructions or save them to notepad as I post them.
Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.

Before we start:
Please be aware that removing malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Because of this, I advise you to backup any personal files and folders before you start.

STEP 1: Run a scan with AdwCleaner

<ol><li>Download AdwCleaner from the below link.
<><a href="http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner" target="_blank">ADWCLEANER DOWNLAOD LINK</a></> (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)</li>

<li>Close all open programs and internet browsers.</li>
<li>Double click on <>adwcleaner.exe</> to run the tool.</li>
<li>Click on <>Delete</>,then confirm each time with <>Ok</>.</li>
<li>Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.</li>
<li>Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.</li>
<li>You can find the logfile at <>C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt</> as well.</li>
</ol>
<hr/>

STEP 2: Run a scan with Junkware Removal Tool

1. Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop from the folowing link:
    JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download Junkware Removal Tool on your computer)
  2. Double-click to run the tool. For Windows Vista or 7 users, right-click the file and select Run as Administrator
  3. The tool will open and start scanning your system
  4. Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  5. On completion, a log (JRT.txt) will be saved to your desktop and will automatically open
  6. Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply

STEP 3: Clean up your browser shortcuts
  1. Please download and save Shortcut Cleaner to your desktop using the following link:
    SHORTCUT CLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download Shortcut Cleaner on your computer)
  2. Once the program has been downloaded, please double-click on the sc-cleaner.exe icon. If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Shortcut Cleaner, please allow it to run.
  3. Once the program starts, it will scan your computer for hijacked shortcuts and clean them. When it has finished it will display a log file that contains a list of all Windows shortcuts that were hijacked and disinfected. Please post this log in your next reply
What's next?

Add the following logs to your next post (You can find here details on how to use the Attachment System):
1.AdwCleaner log
2. Junkware Removal Tool log
3. Shortcut Cleaner log
4.Let me know if you had any problems with the above instructions and also <>let me know how things are running now!</>

Last edited:

laokay1993

Thread author
Apr 30, 2013
Hi Jack!

Thank you so much for the reply. After running the three scans, it seems like all my corrupt shortcuts have been deleted! Thank you so so much for your reply!

Attachments

• JRT.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 74
  • AdwCleaner[S1].txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 108
  • sc-cleaner.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 102

laokay1993

Thread author
Apr 30, 2013
Jack said:
Hi and welcome to the malwaretips.com forums!

I'm Jack and I am going to try to assist you with your problem. Please take note of the below:
  • I will start working on your malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!
  • The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Refrain from running self fixes as this will hinder the malware removal process.
  • It may prove beneficial if you print of the following instructions or save them to notepad as I post them.
Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.

Before we start:
Please be aware that removing malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Because of this, I advise you to backup any personal files and folders before you start.

STEP 1: Run a scan with AdwCleaner

<ol><li>Download AdwCleaner from the below link.
<><a href="http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner" target="_blank">ADWCLEANER DOWNLAOD LINK</a></> (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)</li>

<li>Close all open programs and internet browsers.</li>
<li>Double click on <>adwcleaner.exe</> to run the tool.</li>
<li>Click on <>Delete</>,then confirm each time with <>Ok</>.</li>
<li>Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.</li>
<li>Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.</li>
<li>You can find the logfile at <>C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt</> as well.</li>
</ol>
<hr/>

STEP 2: Run a scan with Junkware Removal Tool

1. Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop from the folowing link:
    JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download Junkware Removal Tool on your computer)
  2. Double-click to run the tool. For Windows Vista or 7 users, right-click the file and select Run as Administrator
  3. The tool will open and start scanning your system
  4. Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  5. On completion, a log (JRT.txt) will be saved to your desktop and will automatically open
  6. Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply

STEP 3: Clean up your browser shortcuts
  1. Please download and save Shortcut Cleaner to your desktop using the following link:
    SHORTCUT CLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download Shortcut Cleaner on your computer)
  2. Once the program has been downloaded, please double-click on the sc-cleaner.exe icon. If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Shortcut Cleaner, please allow it to run.
  3. Once the program starts, it will scan your computer for hijacked shortcuts and clean them. When it has finished it will display a log file that contains a list of all Windows shortcuts that were hijacked and disinfected. Please post this log in your next reply
What's next?

Add the following logs to your next post (You can find here details on how to use the Attachment System):
1.AdwCleaner log
2. Junkware Removal Tool log
3. Shortcut Cleaner log
4.Let me know if you had any problems with the above instructions and also <>let me know how things are running now!</>

The v9tr thing is coming back! :(

Those steps worked temporarily, but now its back, and new shortcuts are being created upon restarting my computer. I've tried running Adwcleaner, JRT, and ShortcutCleaner as they do delete it once, but v9tr shortcuts keep coming back. What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.