Advice Request Remove advertising on ZoneAlarm free 2018

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Hello, I wonder if anyone knows how to remove the publicity of the program. Annoying windows appear. Thank you very much friends and happy New Year! Best regards.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The process responsible is "cefsimple.exe". I would say block it in the firewall, but that is not possible. This is a little concerning, since malware could use it against ZA, by using some vulnerability and faking a process under its name, which would allow it to run and access internet. It is a slim chance, but still possible. :unsure:

Anyway, you could try removing the whole cef folder, but ZA would probably just restore it. You should try it as the first safe option.

Code:
takeown /f "%ProgramFiles%\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\cef" /a /r /d y
icacls "%ProgramFiles%\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\cef" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /l /q /c
rd "%ProgramFiles%\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\cef" /s /q

Denying exe to run should work as well. It is not an essential process, so there should be no issues. Note, that if ZA will be updating, an update might fail, because it will not be able to access it, in that case reset the permissions, update and block it again. There might be other long term issues, if ZA keeps trying to run it.

Code:
takeown /f "%ProgramFiles%\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\cef\cefsimple.exe" /a
icacls "%ProgramFiles%\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\cef\cefsimple.exe" /inheritance:r /remove "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"
Code:
icacls "%ProgramFiles%\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\cef\cefsimple.exe" /reset

Attachments

• capture_12312017_105820.jpg
    capture_12312017_105820.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 1,249
  • capture_12312017_105840.jpg
    capture_12312017_105840.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 1,181

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Thank you very much friend. What if I put it in game mode? Best regards.

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Advertising keeps coming out even in game mode.

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
I personally won't trust Israeli Products, they're suspicious IMO :rolleyes: If you want no ads, you can just go for Kaspersky Free (y)

Reactions: eonline

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
But Kaspersky Free is not a firewall. Thanks, buddy.

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Ok, just use the Windows 10 built-in firewall and add Voodooshield Free version alongside EAM. ~Greetings friend :)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
strange, I'm doing some testing with it currently on another machine and no advertising window appeared :unsure:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
The process responsible is "cefsimple.exe". I would say block it in the firewall, but that is not possible.
I know it's an old post, but would it be possible to block "cefsimple.exe" outbound connections on Windows Firewall?
On Windows 10 Microsoft suggests to keep Windows Firewall enable even if you use a 3rd party firewall, considering that:
  • to block a connection you just need a blocking rule in either WF or the 3rd party FW
  • to allow a connection you need an allow rule on both WF and the 3rd party FW

Reactions: stefanos
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.