Removing Windows 10 icon and disable GWX Process Permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

Thread author
After removing KB3035583 update on my system, i was surprised a few days later when the windows 10 icon was back on my task bar, and when i opened windows updates, there was a ad there for it as well. So i searched for a way to disable this completely as i have no plans of upgrading, at least not any time soon.

There are a few ways listed on the link im about to post, the registry edit being about the best way to stop this nagging.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/

METHOD 3: Disable "Get Windows 10" Using Registry Editor

If you follow above mentioned method, it'll remove the app and its icon temporarily. After some time or next logon, the app and its icon might come back. Following Registry tweak will disable "Get Windows 10" app and its Taskbar icon permanently:

1. Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

3. Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as GWX

So the final key path would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX

4. Now select GWX key and in right-side pane create a new DWORD DisableGWX and set its value to 1

Disable_GWX_App_Icon_Windows_Registry.png

5. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer to take effect.

It'll permanently disable "Get Windows 10" app and will also remove it

There is a script available for those not wishing to edit the registry on their own, and i have personally downloaded it and tested/scanned it, and found it to be completely safe.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Thank God i've managed to uninstall the ''KB3035583'' update before any stupid icon appear on my taskbar.
I also changed my update settings so i can see what is available and install manually.
So far so good, i've checked all other tweaks but i don't have any GWX file or folder.
I am very happy with windows 7 and there is no way to install win10 now or later.
When windows 7 support will finish i will probably switch to another OS, unless if microsoft do something and make win10 not to look like OS for smartphones.I totally dislike the look of win10........

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I am very happy with windows 7 and there is no way to install win10 now or later.
When windows 7 support will finish i will probably switch to another OS, unless if microsoft do something and make win10 not to look like OS for smartphones.I totally dislike the look of win10........

I've been using Win 8.1 and it's no different from Windows 7 when you have Classic Start Menu installed. When Windows 10 is released, I'll certainly move to it, firstly it's free, secondly it has brought back the Start Menu with plenty of performance improvements. I still have Linux Mint on dual boot though.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
firstly it's free

Time will show if win10 will be free or not......the upgrade maybe is free i'm not sure about the future.

I still have Linux Mint on dual boot though.

Linux Mint are AWESOME. To be honest it is the first OS distro i will look for, when win7 support will finish and win10 will still look like OS for smartphones...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.