Battle Want to replace Avast+Comodo, what should I use?

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i had comodo F with cruel S SETTINGS and avast with hardened mode - aggressive. i uninstalled something. i lost my internet connection. i could not get it back. i read that comodo is buggy and avast free is buggy too. i got rid of both. i am looking for a new internet security.

bitdefender TS was buggy on my PC. i can't get kaspersky for political reasons.

i am unskilled at PC's. i like freedom to click. i just use the browser. which should i use?

Mod Edit: Changed title to reflect topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
:) i already have voodooshield. do members think that is enough?

VoodooShield and put it in lock down mode, but before doing that make sure your PC is completely virus free. I don't like Windows Defender due to a long full scan. Windows Defender take 20 years to finish a full system scan on my PC where other 3rd party antivirus can finish it in less than a day.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For Windows 10 I recommend only the following based on my experiences;
> Windows Defender
> Norton Security
> ESET Antivirus / Smart Security
> Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Consider OSArmor which has been recommended in other threads, which in my opinion, looks like a worthy addition to an Antivirus without too much confusion.

Edit: Also to consider Kaspersky Free Antivirus which looks like a decent Avast Free alternative.

Moderator Edit to OP's post - Change thread title to reflect purpose.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For Windows 10 I recommend only the following based on my experiences;
> Windows Defender
> Norton Security
> ESET Antivirus / Smart Security
> Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Consider OSArmor which has been recommended in other threads, which in my opinion, looks like a worthy addition to an Antivirus without too much confusion.

Edit: Also to consider Kaspersky Free Antivirus which looks like a decent Avast Free alternative.

Moderator Edit to OP's post - Change thread title to reflect purpose.
I only have a recent experience with Windows Defender and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
Both are recommended.
Kaspersky Free did slow down my web browsing and I didn't like the fact that it uses a root certificate to scan encrypted connections.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Good to know before using, do you know if it be disabled, or is not possible due to the limited settings?
It can be disabled, but you will weaken the protection offered for free... But you can also just disable the scanning of sites protected by EV (expensive) certificates like on your banking site. That's probably the best option.
I really like KFA but it just slowed down my browsing too much for me.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I would recommend comodo internet security with cruelsisters firewall settings, just disable full scan from antivirus settings duehigh disk/memory usage and run full antivirus scan manually every week.

Comodo won't slow down your browsing at all and thats why i like it. With crome + windows defender and malwarebyte addons and nanoblocker + defender you cant go wrong. If you want to see wich site is ' safe' you can add avira browser addon, just dont use adguard filters on adblock if you decide to go with avira browser addon.

Sometimes it scares me how lightweight comodo really is tbh..

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky Free did slow down my web browsing and I didn't like the fact that it uses a root certificate to scan encrypted connections.
they both can be solved easily :)
in fact, most AVs inject certificates to scan your encrypted connection. I don't know who doesn't do that
we know kaspersky does that because it's obvious but other AVs also do that except when they have no web filter or they use chrome/firefox extensions to scan encrypted traffic

unchecking "inject script..." in settings -> additional -> network: will totally solve the problem of slowing down browsing speed. In the free version, that feature is useless so it must be disabled. It's useful for Safe money and anti-banner,...

moreover, if you don't want the encrypted connection scanning, you can disable it in the same place I mentioned above

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
they both can be solved easily :)
in fact, most AVs inject certificates to scan your encrypted connection. I don't know who doesn't do that
we know kaspersky does that because it's obvious but other AVs also do that except when they have no web filter or they use chrome/firefox extensions to scan encrypted traffic

unchecking "inject script..." in settings -> additional -> network: will totally solve the problem of slowing down browsing speed. In the free version, that feature is useless so it must be disabled. It's useful for Safe money and anti-banner,...

moreover, if you don't want the encrypted connection scanning, you can disable it in the same place I mentioned above
I know it can be disabled, but with for instance "inject script" if it doesn't do anything why is it even there?
Emsisoft and Windows Defender for example don't perform a MITM attack (with a certificate) for scanning encrypted connections.
So instead of disabling some options I just use another program.

Reactions: oldschool and Brie

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I know it can be disabled, but with for instance "inject script" if it doesn't do anything why is it even there?
Emsisoft and Windows Defender for example don't perform a MITM attack (with a certificate) for scanning encrypted connections.
So instead of disabling some options I just use another program.
It's still there because it's enabled by default in all kaspersky's products so it's to avoid extra coding. I don't know exactly what it's for but I believe it has something to do with the extensions for chrome, firefox, IE: search reputation checking for example
but it's the only feature I know in the free version. I disable it

Windows defender has no real web protection so no reason for them to add a certificate to the browser. Someone said we can enable web protection in WD but then, I don't know if it injects certificate right after we enable that feature or not

For emsisoft, I need to check it out because I have no trust in emsisoft's excuses and what they write on the blog. They have made so many recently

I will install EAM on a VM and look for a certificate. They said they don't use on the blog but...

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
This is from an old post (about 3 years ago), but it explained at that time why script injection and how it works:
Kaspersky - Script Injection.png

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Since i used and tested all these AV ..i can give a glance overall. My report is accurate and each one above has a flaw one or other
Symantec: Good signatures, Effective Behaviour based Sonar, Settings are icing on cake and good gui, Lightest AV, Excellent Anti phishing
Too rigid download insight, Heavy heavy Fp's (Cloud), Banking protection not available(I made a fake transaction from a hijacked chrome)> Norton killed completely here
Emsisoft: Shares pros like NORTON
Fp's here and there, Poor Antiphishing score in my tests, Banking module sucks(Whether it is present?)
Eset: Shares the same pros, Safe Banking works (Alerts seen in hijacked browsers)
Proactive sucks, Poor Antiphishing in my tests, Too rigid signature dependent Ransom module
G DATA
: Balanced reactive and Pro active, BB improved day by day in PROCESS HOLLOWING area, Banking module works
Poor Antiphishing, Slight GUI improvements (From my end), Fp's encountered from Engine-A(Bit Defender)
F secure: Worst banking module, Overactive Web shield, Struggles to remove detected malware, Boot Time module not present
Great signatures, Deep Guard is so so..(Bunch of Fp's) a lot better though, Install and Forget
Avast: Balanced Reactive and Pro active, Good GUI, Very good cloud, Great anti phishing scores
Banking module sucks, BB impovements required but a lot better than many (FREE)
Trend : Good proactive, Reactive is so so, Excellent Anti phishing scores (My CHAMP)
Banking module not available, Install and Forget
W Defender: A lot improved in all areas, suggestions are available though
Dr WEB: Good reactive response, Preventive protection improved a lot in 11.5 ver (New alerts : DPD , combo DPD+DPH) alerts seen
Basic Firewall(Resisted hard to attack), GUI improvements , Anti Phishing not available (POOREST), Banking module not visible (BB works in most cases)
Kaspersky : Balanced performer in all the areas.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My recommendation relies upon ESET Internet Security. It has plenty of configurations available that will provide you a really amazing protection level. Plus, it's the lightest suite out there. It's the best choice in my opinion for people who don't want to mess up things and don't want to sacrifice their PC's resources.

The perfect combo, for you, would be:
  • ESET Internet Security
  • OSArmor
And since you mention you use your browser a lot, I would suggest protecting it too, adding the following extensions:
  • uBlock Origin
  • HTTPS Everywhere
  • NoScript Suite
I can share with you my uBlock and ESET configuration files so you can just import it and done.
i am unskilled at PC's. i like freedom to click. i just use the browser. which should i use?
And this is why I wouldn't recommend Windows Defender or just VS. The aforementioned combo should keep you in this side of the line :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.