Researcher Says API Flaw Exposed Symantec Certificates, Including Private Keys

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Flaws in the API used by Symantec partners would have allowed an attacker to retrieve certificates, including private keys, security researcher Chris Byrne said in a Facebook post published over the weekend.

The researcher said he discovered this issue two years ago, in 2015, and agreed to a process called "limited non-disclosure," as Symantec said it would take at least two years to fix the issues, during which they asked Byrne to not disclose any details to the public.

"I agreed to limited non-disclosure of the issue, unless I felt it was critically necessary, or it would be unethical or irresponsible for me not to disclose," said Byrne, "for example, if there were a threat to national security, or I discovered a compromise of a client, or any actual criminal compromise arising from it, etc.."

API flaw exposes Symantec certs, private keys

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.