Security News Researchers Defeat Most Powerful Ad Blockers, Declare a ‘New Arms Race’

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Perceptual ad blockers will come out on the losing side in the war against internet advertisers and expose users to a host of new attack vectors in the process, the researchers warned.

It was only natural to assume that AI would be used in malware making it harder to stop but it did not dawn on me advertisers would use it to defeat ad blockers and open up a big can of worms for the end user in the process.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes, they will be able to defeat filter lists somehow, someday. I'm not so sure they will be able to defeat the likes of uBO, Nano Adblocker, etc. when these are used in Medium or Hard mode, which the article makes no mention of. So there is still some hope for the forces of good, I believe. :X3::love::alien:

Also, I tried experimenting on Yahoo's homepage with Nano Adblocker in medium mode with ALL default and added filters disabled, used element picker to clean up the remaining 'uglies' and voila - a totally clean, ad-free page that loaded as fast as my machine would allow. The Hated One would be proud, I'm sure! Viva la revolucion! (y)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

It;s available in Chrome Store

Perceptual Ad Highlighter

From Chrome Store

**Please Note**:
- This extension does not remove ads entirely but covers them with a translucent cover that says "This is an ad" or "Adchoices Identified"
- This extension is only designed to detect advertisements and Facebook and with the AdChoices icon; it does not detect advertisements with different disclosure standards.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Because making an "Ai" ad blocker somehow isn't a thing lol. If they make "Ai" ads t bypass lists, someone will make "Ai" adblocker that intelligently picks ads and blocks them without using any lists. You just know this will happen eventually...

E

Eddie Morra

Because making an "Ai" ad blocker somehow isn't a thing lol. If they make "Ai" ads t bypass lists, someone will make "Ai" adblocker that intelligently picks ads and blocks them without using any lists. You just know this will happen eventually...
I love how you wrote "Ai" instead of Ai.

You sir know what you're talking about.

Good job. :)

Reactions: RejZoR

Those that wish to circumvent already have Ai\ML. Criminal enterprises already have powerful Ai\ML. Malc0ders have been defeating Ai\ML for years.

The whole "NextGen Ai\ML will protect you" is all marketing. Ai\ML is just detection by another name (because it certainly isn't prevention). Whether or not it is considered a scam is up to the person to decide.

Some of America's most hardened systems absolutely will not use Ai. And why would that be ?

Reactions: Deleted member 178

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.