Battle Returnil vs Faronics Deep Freeze vs Shadow Mode for worry free web exploration :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostnwandering

Thread author
Feb 8, 2015
Returnil vs DF vs SD vs others like them!
Laptop this will be run: 2.4ghz p8600 c2d dual core, 4g of ram, Windows 7 pro 64bit.

First of all, let me say this forum is really addictive :D I have never read so much as I did in the last day or two! I keep opening thread after thread! haha! I'm learning a lot! Thanks for all the humans who take their time to contribute!

Scenario: You are feeling venturesome! You want to explore the web and be a happy clicker! You know adware is getting in! spyware! greyware! You may even feel like trying out programs from forum members not knowing what may be hiding inside! You don't seem to mind and want to keep going knowing you will be doing a reboot soon! What app would you choose for such a daring day!

P.S: How fail proof are apps like these? Have they been known to be bypassed? Impenetrable fortresses, they are? :D

H

hjlbx

Hello,

Shadow Defender

1. Ease-of-Use (simplicity)
2. Long-standing, proven track record
3. Compatibility - with AV, Sandboxie, others...
4. Configurability - the few options that are available are quite handy at times

WARNING!: If you install malware, then Shadow Mode is "compromised"; data may be stolen (Windows OS product key for example) or encrypted (any Excluded files/folders by cryptomalware).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I suppose any of these tools should work, provided they have the right functionality. Toolwiz Time Freeze and Time Machine do work, those I've tested (although not versus malware).

The problem is malware might infect your PC and send personal information to crooks before you reset it, so you should only do this on a computer that has no compromising personal info like banking stuff, personal photos, etc.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I beta tested the Returnil QuietZone product, but their final release came bundled with Tor. I prefer their older software, but it's no longer supported or is not compatible with modern Windows.

For worry-free web exploration, Sandboxie Free is sufficient.

Lostnwandering

Thread author
Feb 8, 2015
WARNING!: If you install malware, then Shadow Mode is "compromised"; data may be stolen (Windows OS product key for example) or encrypted (any Excluded files/folders by cryptomalware).

A very crucial point! that's scary! There goes worry free malware playtime!

The problem is malware might infect your PC and send personal information to crooks before you reset it, so you should only do this on a computer that has no compromising personal info like banking stuff, personal photos, etc.

Hmmm If you are really feeling that itch to explore, may be one workaround is to enable Time Freeze or Time machine or others and then delete banking stuff and embarrassing pics before exploring...although going through bills and personal stuff is sure to kill the mood!

Thanks for the feedback! I will take your word for it SiR!

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
A very crucial point! that's scary! There goes worry free malware playtime!

Hmmm If you are really feeling that itch to explore, may be one workaround is to enable Time Freeze or Time machine or others and then delete banking stuff and embarrassing pics before exploring...although going through bills and personal stuff is sure to kill the mood!

Thanks for the feedback! I will take your word for it SiR!
Just remember to be careful when playing with fire.

Reactions: Moose

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Warning! Will Rogers lost in space,not scary,not danger, just common sense! Why would you install mal-ware? Quarantine first and/or exclude from the system. And/or make shadow copies, backup and create an image, and encrypted with 2048 bits! Nothing is perfect! Layering of security software's is a good step in the right direction.

I agree with Jaspion,totally!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
As hjlbx, we use Shadow Defender too for all reasons listed. It also provides an uncomplicated way to test software & experience new browsers temporarily on both our Windows 7 & 8.1 systems without commitment or regret, although in order to cast a more honest reflection on the nature of what we use as a front line defense, I felt the need to go back & change my vote from Shadow Mode to "other".
Lostnwandering's "daring" description, for myself, was limited to waking our XP system from it's slumber, an update for Firefox plus it's extensions, updating Avira Free's virus definitions, and re-activating Toolwiz Time Freeze, before stretching it's internet "legs" by coming here to read & post a 'like' or three on MT.:rolleyes: XP was suited up in Sandboxie, of course,:cool: but even after I'd updated Sandboxie, a small plaintive voice reminded me "Sandboxie no longer supports Windows XP"; & so, before falling into the usual "time stopping worm hole" where I'd totally lose site of how much time is passing, I reminded myself I should not be using:eek: XP, even with Time freeze set & with Firefox inside of a Sandbox. I logged off and restarted the the old Dell Tower back into it's safer faster (long term supported & updated) linux lubuntu persona with neither a "Shadow Mode" to reset for mishaps nor a sandbox to cradle either the Firefox or Chrome browsers within a virtual safety roll bar!:p:D

Back on topic, "other" (in Windows) is most accurately & represented as Huracan stated:

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

There is no such thing as "worry-free" web exploration, but Huracan alludes to an important distinction between Sandboxie and other light virtualization products such as Shadow Defender, Time Freeze, Returnil, etc.

Sandboxie has the capability to block the installation of drivers and can be configured to apply policy restrictions to processes running in the sandbox. SD, TF, R and others do not.

I use Shadow Defender to allow malware to run with full Admin privileges without restriction to observe and make note of what happens. Afterwards, a simple click of the mouse reboots and I'm back to a clean system. So it's nothing more than a tool that saves me time-consuming malware removal.

Much malware does not function properly, if it will run at all, using a virtual machine. The "Real Effing-Deal" is only to be observed on an actual, physical system.

There is absolutely nothing on my system that I am not willing to part with - meaning I will DoD protocol my PC in a second if need be. :cool:

If you are going to mess about with malware then that's how it's got to be; it's part of the risk.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Hello,

Shadow Defender

1. Ease-of-Use (simplicity)
2. Long-standing, proven track record
3. Compatibility - with AV, Sandboxie, others...
4. Configurability - the few options that are available are quite handy at times

What about if entering Shadow Mode with write cache encryption enabled and password control activated?

H

hjlbx

What about if entering Shadow Mode with write cache encryption enabled and password control activated?

Using write cache encryption and a password control provides absolutely no protection against cryptomalware. The cryptomalware will re-encrypt the encrypted write cache.

Exiting Shadow Mode returns the system back to its original, pre-Shadow Mode, state - if you have not excluded any files or folders from Shadow Mode.

In other words, cryptomalware will also encrypt any files or folders that you have excluded from Shadow Mode.

For best security/results, exclude no files or folders from Shadow Mode.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Shadow Defender:

Very good full virtualization program (shadow mode) however the minor issue which happen all the time before is when you wanted to restart/shutdown for deactivation SM it tooks forever to make light indicator of my laptop to turn off.

Just a downside of being a paid version but lifetime license is available.

Meanwhile Toolwiz Timefreeze is good unless BSOD may occur.

* Issues may be fixed already from current version

Reactions: Moose
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.