Advice Request Reve Antivirus - Have you tried this antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Paid AV that uses Bitdefender signatures, which would be the reason to pay for this AV when you can have the original one and also in free version?
In this case you'd be better off with the original for sure. However, sometimes third party antiviruses using Bitdefender signatures are lighter or have some features that BD is missing.

I was using the free Tencent PC Manager for a while, because it was noticably lighter on my systems than free or paid versions of BD.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In this case you'd be better off with the original for sure. However, sometimes third party antiviruses using Bitdefender signatures are lighter or have some features that BD is missing.

I was using the free Tencent PC Manager for a while, because it was noticably lighter on my systems than free or paid versions of BD.
what made you give up Tencent? just curious, I have never even tried it

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
what made you give up Tencent? just curious, I have never even tried it
There were some minor issues with it. Sometimes (usually when my computer had not been rebooted for a number of days), the popup alerts would appear as a solid black box with nothing visible. This could be fixed with a reboot, but was still annoying. I can't remember if I tried exiting PC Manager for the system tray icon and reloading it. I presume I did, as I don't know why I wouldn't have done that.

Secondly, it can't quarantine items that are runnning. If detects a runinng process as being bad, it will try to quarantine it but will fail to delete the original file after quarantining it (but you will not be told this), as it appers it does not try to end running processes before deleting them.

Also, I just thought I'd try something different as I'd been using PC Manager for at least a few months.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There were some minor issues with it. Sometimes (usually when my computer had not been rebooted for a number of days), the popup alerts would appear as a solid black box with nothing visible. This could be fixed with a reboot, but was still annoying. I can't remember if I tried exiting PC Manager for the system tray icon and reloading it. I presume I did, as I don't know why I wouldn't have done that.

Secondly, it can't quarantine items that are runnning. If detects a runinng process as being bad, it will try to quarantine it but will fail to delete the original file after quarantining it (but you will not be told this), as it appers it does not try to end running processes before deleting them.

Also, I just thought I'd try something different as I'd been using PC Manager for at least a few months.
great report!

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
REVE Antivirus was started in the year 2014 as an entity of ‘The REVE Group’, a Singapore based conglomerate operating in areas like IP communications, web based software, and roaming application. The Group was founded in the year 2003 by M. Rezaul Hassan.

Headquartered in Singapore, REVE group has set up its major development centres in Bangladesh & India and branch office in Hong Kong. The company has its customers in over more than 78 nations. The success of REVE Group lies in its operational excellence, strong values and superior customer satisfaction.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Most of the time when I encountered some AV's which contain licensed engine from known company, I highly doubt it will not evolve for better outcome like implementation of HIPS, BB or cloud.

Simply because the company perhaps not so big and could not accommodate special fields for that to improve the product.

Indeed having a license borrowed engine will improve the product but stuck on that percentage.

Reactions: roger_m

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
It has lots of features, from what I can see on their website. I wonder why it is not more popular.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It has lots of features, from what I can see on their website. I wonder why it is not more popular.
There is nothing which makes it stand out from other antiviruses. A couple of years ago I suggested that they add the option to be able to ignore files when they are detected and that they also add changelogs to their website when they release new versions, to show what has been changed. Someone from Reve even rang me to discuss this, but neither idea was implemented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Divine_Barakah

ZeroDayDefender

Level 2
Verified
Nov 14, 2018
Capture.PNG

Reactions: roger_m

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
There is nothing which makes it stand out from other antiviruses. A couple of years ago I suggested that they add the option to be able to ignore files when they are detected and that they also add changelogs to their website when they release new versions, to show what has been changed. Someone from Reve even rang me to discuss this, but neither idea was implemented.
How did you contact them? Via e-mail? And you gave them your phone number in the e-mail?

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Signature based products are dead, unable to keep up with new daily malware. It's best to go with a preventative approach, like Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, OSArmor, or Voodooshield. Something that does not rely on signatures would be best. But as always, create a good system image and store it externally.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Considering its price, it better be.

But make a new thread about it.
There's an existing thread about their products. Considering how bad they are, I can only presume his post is just spam to promote them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.