Review - Advanced System Care with Antivirus 2013 (powered by BitDefender)

Would you try this solution? If so how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
To note that this review is only based on the Antivirus module that has been introduced to Advanced System Care. It uses BitDefender engine.

Links: Refer to screenshot:
out of 11 links, 2 dead, 2 detected by Real Time Protection. Rest bypassed Real Time Protection.

Malware pack:
152 from MT, dated 15th of July.

Everything in stock settings:
120/152 - 78.94%

What followed next was the usual run the leftovers, until the system started to cripple and then I am greeted with a gift (see Ohdead screenshot). Booting in safe mode, I was able to briefly control the system by being able to run ASC. Full scan was: 3 temp files?!

Everything else was pretty much encrypted, including my screenshots.
In an attempt to save at least the screenshots, after ASC full scan, went into MBAM folder and ran Chameleon.

Got the MBAM version redownloaded and did a full scan. Result:

[attachment=1796]

During the time of infection process, Real Time only greeted me 4 times before screen being taken over in french.

At this stage I am unsure if it was the ransomware that encrypted all files or was something else. Needless to say, MBAM did clear most infectinos but I would still need to deal with the encryption. As a result, I called it a day and re-took the screenshots of the UI and deleted the VM.

Based on all of the above, my rating is a 2 star. I rather run MSE or even AVG and use Advanced System Care free.

Note that this is only my opinion. Other users might have other opinions and I will respect that.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: Advanced System Care with Antivirus 2013 (powered by BitDefender)

Basic AV protection for those a fan of ASC Pro who don't mind spending a few extra for the AV version.

Wonder if it's worth pairing it with a companion AV, but not SBIE since it defeats ASC purpose. See what I mean?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011

I rather run MSE or even AVG

This reveiw is flawed and wrong!!1 The pictuer on the inforrmatoin page for this product says it's detection rate is Very High and its BETTER than MSE and AVg!

MHkGN.png

/sarcasm :rolleyes:

Ouch, Is what I can say. I expected better results especially from the BitDefender engine it uses.

Slightly better than IObit Malware Fighter.

This product also uses the IOBit Malware Fighter Engine from what I read: http://www.iobit.com/advanced-systemcare-antivirus.html#none

What would you suggest for better Real time Protection? Lets keep in mind IObit is probably trying to keep it easy to use and keep the product non-intrusive.

None the less thanks for the review and your time Bioz.
cGMNr.gif

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012

I Always knew ASCw/AV lacked protection from unknown malware since it totally depended on its bitdefender signature
Good i only used it a companion AV along with ESET but looking at the above test i think its not even Good for a companion Av
Removed ASCw/AV Now searching for a good companion along ESET that will work on windows x64
And Thanks For The detail Review BIozfear may be will give ASCw/AV another try If they really improved their product
Thanks

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

The detection is not very poor if its get 120 out of 152.
You can see in thread that bd have detect 40 only and cis 120,however kaspersky 141 and wsc 147 is far better.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-152-malware-samples

But as you mentioned the horrible instance its not worth to try.
As it mentioned before Iobit have other good products but protection software...no.

Thank you for review

P

Plexx

Thread author

Their detection rate is good, since it does use BD signatures. The issue that they have is the lack of real time protection. Sure its turned on but barely popped up.

They certainly nailed down scan speed, so that is a plus, but that is where the good points stop.

It is still a good on demand scanner option (I would rather use it on demand), but I would not attempt running as a main real time protection. Yet if I had to chose between Malware Fighter and Advanced System Care with AV for real time protection, I would not think twice and go with ASC. Simply because they have decent signatures.

Nevertheless, it is not my cup of tea. Rather stick to the free version of ASC and use another AV.

IObit sure are trying to make improvements but they do need to tackle some stuff. If its using MF technology, they better really improve Malware Fighter.

IObit Advanced System Care with Antivirus does have potential, but in my eyes at this stage, not worth paying anything at this stage.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

Nice review again :)
When are you finding time for life & sleep ?

P

Plexx

Thread author
This was requested by lovelyboy for awhile. So yesterday I didn't log into the game since most people now are on the beta test servers to test the new past, and I couldn't be asked so I though, do the Review.

Tonight I'll probably have Stranger's request done. Will have to have a test run in afternoon to see how it is etc first.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
This was requested by lovelyboy for awhile. So yesterday I didn't log into the game since most people now are on the beta test servers to test the new past, and I couldn't be asked so I though, do the Review.

Tonight I'll probably have Stranger's request done. Will have to have a test run in afternoon to see how it is etc first.

waiting to see your review ;)

P

Plexx

Thread author
probably will be done by tonight. Lets see if I got much to do ingame tonight or not

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In the link MrXidus posted;

"Advanced SystemCare with Antivirus 2013 is compatible with other security software like anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, etc."

They should have advertised this better, as a companion AV.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Anyone has a license for ASC/WA 2013 and is willing to donate it to me?

will test it as a companion.

Thanks by advance

:D

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Anyone has a license for ASC/WA 2013 and is willing to donate it to me?

Here is promo:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Promo-Advanced-SystemCare-with-Antivirus-Bitdefender-engine

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Tested, it , during installation it is incompatible with CIS and EAM, so i installed it as a On-Demand Scanner, then CIS' cmdagent.exe uses 50% of CPU (after all exclusions done) not to say i uninstalled it right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.