App Review Review Collection #3 (Avast, Avira, Microsoft, Qihu)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

What's your favorite of this test set?

• avast!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Avira

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Qihu

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Round three. Four free programs were tested. Have fun :)
Facts to the tests:
Virtualization Software: Oracle VM VirtualBox & VMware Workstation (needed to switch, Vbox crashed with Avast)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64 Anniversary (Version 1607)
Sample-Set: 140 Samples, consisting of ransomware, self-extractors, windows/java script files and some ad-/riskware.
HitmanPro.Alert: Custom Setup - I enabled the BadUSB, which was disabled by default
Testing method: I extracted the malware samples to the desktop on running real time-protection of the antivirus-solution. After detecting and deleting by the anti-virus I scanned it manually by using the context-scan. After checking the detection-ratio I executed the rest of samples for checking the realtime-protection. Finally I scanned the system with HitmanPro and Zemana AntiMalware for checking if there are any rests of malware in the system folders.

avast! Free Antivirus

Detection Ratio (On-Demand and On-Access):
137/140 - 97,9% (133 d, 4 b and d)
HitmanPro.Alert (not detected by Avast): 1
Total blocked (Avast + HMP.Alert): 138/140 - 98,6%

HitmanPro + Zemana Scanning Result after executing: Clean - Zemana found one threat in samples folder. But it seems to be a false positive (0 detections on VirusTotal)
Any picture, text or excel document infected/encrypted: No
Was the system usable after testing (reboot)?: Yes
Attempts to repair the system: Not needed
Would I recommend it?: Yes - protected the system solid. It wasn't the fastest on threat removing but very fast for a freeware. Well done avast!
Avast Free Antivirus-Setup: Custom
Enabled "Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs)" (General)
Enabled "Scan all files" (Components->Scan when opening and Scan when writing)
Disbaled "Do not scan verified system DLLs" (Components->Advanced)
Set the action on detected threats to "Move to Chest" (Components->Actions)
Selected "All packers" (Components->Packers)
Set the Suspicious behavior (HIPS) sensitivity to medium (Components->Sensitivity)

Avira Free Antivirus

Detection Ratio (On-Demand and On-Access): 138/140 - 98,6% (138 d)
HitmanPro.Alert (not detected by Avast): 0
Total blocked (Avast + HMP.Alert): 138/140 - 98,6%

HitmanPro + Zemana Scanning Result after executing: Clean system folders, found threats in samples folder
Would I recommend it?: Yes. A strong detection ratio but very slow on deleting/moving threats. So you need time and much cups of coffee with it :D
Avira Free Antivirus-Setup: Custom
Enabled "Integrity checking of system files" (System-Scanner)
Enabled "Follow symbolic links" (System-Scanner)
Set the area to scan to "All files" (System-Scanner)
Changed the "Action on detection" to Quarantine (System-Scanner)
Selected all "All archive types" (System-Scanner)

Microsoft Windows Defender

Detection Ratio (On-Demand and On-Access): 134*/140 - 95,7% (132 d, 1 b, 1 b and d)
HitmanPro.Alert (not detected by Windows Defender): 1
Total blocked (WD + HMP.Alert): 135/140 - 96,4%

HitmanPro + Zemana Scanning Result after executing: Infected - Threats found in samples and system folder
Would I recommend it?: Only for experienced Users - The Windows Defender left a rest of malware which was not detected. Maybe together with one or two second opinion scanners the detection ratio could be strong enough. Furthermore the Windows Defender needs a long time for destroying Malware. It also needs much resources for it.
Windows Defender Setup: Default

*1 file seems to be a false positive or for an older version of ms word (.rtf-file)

Qihu 360 Total Security

Detection Ratio (On-Demand and On-Access): 138/140 - 98,6% (138 d)
HitmanPro.Alert (not detected by 360 TS): 1
Total blocked (360 + HMP.Alert): 139/140 - 99,3%

HitmanPro + Zemana Scanning Result after executing: Clean - Zemana found one threat in samples folder. But it seems to be a false positive (0 detections on VirusTotal)
Would I recommend it?: Yes, one of the best protection with very good engines (BitDefender and Avira) you can get for free. It's also very fast on removing threats and easy to handle.
360 Total Security-Setup: Custom
Installed the Avira Engine and activated Avira on Protection
Changed "File type to be monitored" to "All files" (Active Protection)
Enabled blocking of PUPs
Activated Scanning of compressed files (Virus Scan)

b=blocked, d=deleted

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Windows defender:
HitmanPro + Zemana Scanning Result after executing: Infected - Threats found in samples and system folder

Windows defender miss 1 dll in appdata, the problem is: is an active thread (injected, running or something)? or it's a corpse?

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Dll-Files could be injected by programs - for example after restarting the system. So it's also important, to detect trojans/ransoms in dll-files.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Hey so for Avaria you have the same % results and it says Avast + HMP.Alert. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No surprise, 3rd party programs have more established techniques in detection compare to Windows Defender itself so a very long journey though.

Reactions: kyokodash

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.