Reyptson Ransomware Spams Your Friends by Stealing Thunderbird Contacts

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Over the weekend, Emsisoft security researcher xXToffeeXx discovered a new ransomware called Reyptson that is targeting Spanish victims. Since then, we have seen increased activity in the ransomware's developmen. Today security researcher MalwareHunterTeam took a deeper look and noticed that Reyptson conducts its own spam distribution campaign directly from a victim's configured Thunderbird email account.

This is a new feature that has not been seen in ransomware before, so I decided to take a deeper dive into this ransomware to see what we could find. For those who have been infected with the Reyptson Ransomware, unfortunately there is no way to decrypt this ransomware currently for free. We have, though, setup a dedicated Reyptson Support & Help Topic for those who wish to discuss it or ask questions.

Reyptson Spreads by Spamming the Victim's Thunderbird Contacts
Unlike any other ransomware that I remember, Reyptson includes the ability to distribute itself through a spam email campaign conducted from the victim's computer. It does this by checking if the Thunderbird email client is installed, and if it is, it will attempt to read the victim's email credentials and contact list.

Good news..high detection rate on VT

Antivirus scan for e6d549543863cd3eb7d92436739a66da4b2cc1a9d40267c4bb2b2fa50bf42f41 at 2017-07-18 03:05:03 UTC - VirusTotal

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I believe I received that one two days ago in one of my emails, it looked like a fake paypal invoice written in Spanish with an attachment.

Reactions: Solarquest

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.