RIP to the Google Pixel 3a, Which is Officially Discontinued

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Google is no longer selling cheap phones. At least, that's the temporary situation the company is in now, thanks to the (probably planned) discontinuation of the Pixel 3a and the (definitely unplanned) delays of its successor, the Pixel 4a. 9to5Google first noticed that the phone was pulled from the Google Store yesterday, and Google confirmed to several outlets that the phone is officially no longer for sale.

Google was supposed to have a replacement by now. Google's new cheap phone, the Pixel 4a, was expected to be announced at Google I/O 2020, the same show that launched the Pixel 3a. That would have happened in May, and while the coronavirus pandemic put a stop to Google I/O and every other public gathering, that still doesn't quite explain why it's July now and the Pixel 4a is still missing in action. It's possible that Google is having COVID-related supply issues, but other manufacturers like HTC, Motorola, and Huawei have had launches lately.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
Grabbed the the Pixel 3a XL a month ago when it was on sale for $319. Love the phone! I hope Google continues to focus on the mid-range.

However, they seem to be sabotaging their own sales for the Pixel 4a with the delay in releasing it. Many people who were in the market for a phone and had the 4a in mind have moved on to purchase other phones.

Reactions: plat and CyberTech

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
End of production and sales, but will continue to receive OS and firmware updates..

What about operating system? does it support android 11 too?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.